The titles you automatically associate with each movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Re: The titles you automatically associate with each movie

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Gojira\Godzilla\Godzilla: King of the Monsters:
Used to I always called it Godzilla: King of the Monsters because of all the times I watched the US cut of the film as a kid. Then, a few years later I decided to call it Gojira after seeing Classic Media's release of the film. Nowadays I just call it Godzilla 1954 because that way it dosen't get mixed up with anything else that's simply called Godzilla.

Godzilla Raids Again\Gigantis the fire Monster:
I always call it Godzilla Raids Again because Gigantis always just sounded so weird and hard to memorize as being Godzilla so I just called it Godzilla Raids Again to avoid the name confusion.

Mothra vs. Godzilla\Godzilla vs. Mothra\Godzilla vs. the Thing:
Like GRA I always either just called it Godzilla vs. Mothra or Mothra vs. Godzilla. The Thing sounds to weird and annoying like Gigantis. So, as a kid I called it Godzilla vs. mothra nowadays I better think of it as Mothra vs. Godzilla.

Ghidorah: the Three Headed Monster\Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster:
I used to call it Ghidrah both the monster and the movie for years I soon then just called the movie that due to later in the dubs his name either being called Ghidorah or King Ghidorah. Now I call the movie by it's real name almost want to say thanks to Classic Media's release again but I'm not completely sure.

Invasion of Astro-Monster\Monster Zero\Godzilla vs. Monster Zero:
Because of it's old home video releases like Simitar's I used to called it Godzilla vs. Monster Zero even though Ghidorah and Monster Zero are pretty much the same monster. Plus it wasn't until Classic Media's release of the film that I called it Invasion of the Astro-Monster I always found it funny that the word "the" was never used in it's title except for the UK VHS release of the film as well as "Astro-Monsters" being in plural form maybe I'll just call it by it's UK name.

Ebirah Horror of the Deep\Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster:
On this I've called it Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster for the longest time due to our markets out here never reffering to it as Ebirah: Horror of the Deep. To this very day in the US it's still reffered to as the Sea Monster. I now recently decided to reffer to it by it's original title as with the rest of the series.

All Monsters Attack\Godzilla's Revenge:
As, stated before on this thread neither one of the titles really fit the movie as the Monsters aren't attacking anything neither is Godzilla getting revenge on anything either. It sould've been called something like Ichiro's dreamworld with Godzilla and Son or something like that. Yet another one that I used to call Godzilla's Revenge once again thanks to Classic Media's release I now call it All Monsters Attack.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah\Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster:
I hardly ever call it the Smog Monster it's always been Godzilla vs. Hedorah for me mainly because of Sony's DVD which was the first time I saw it. As, I began researching it I found out about it's AIP English dub which I now own a VHS of. Both titles seem suitable but I'm sticking with Hedorah.

Godzilla vs. Gigan\Godzilla on Monster Island:
I've always called this one Godzilla vs. Gigan because I first saw it on the Anchor Bay VHS of the movie. So, I always called it that even when I did find out about Monster Island I stuck with Gigan due to the film not having much to do with Godzilla being on Monster Island at all except twice breifly in the movie.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla\Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster\Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster:
Yet another one that I called by it's regular title Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I first saw it on it's New World Video VHS as a kid and besides Mechagodzilla is the robot's real name. Bionic or Cosmic are kind of cool nicknames for it though. Once again it's wasn't until later on I found out about the other two titles. Gee, I wonder if anything from that Bionic Monster print even exist anymore I almost doubt it but who knows.

Terror of Mechagodzilla\Terror of Godzilla:
Always have and always will be called Terror of Mechagodzilla for me I never before in my life seen the Terror of Godzilla print I always grew up with calling it Terror of Mechagodzilla.

The Return of Godzilla\Godzilla 1985\Gojira 1984
I first saw the Anchor Bay tape of Godzilla 1985 but now I called the Return of Godzilla because that separates it from Godzilla 1954.

Godzilla vs. Mothra\Godzilla and Mothra: the Battle for Earth:
Kind of the same situation with this one as with Ebirah. I used reffer it to the long US title nowadays I think of it as Godzilla vs. Mothra.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla\Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II:
Always have and always will call it Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II that way it will saparate it from the 1974 film of the same name.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I associate Toho's preferred English title with all of the films. That's what we use on the site, so it's second nature from writing about this for so long. The only "quasi" exception is actually Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack... because GMK is so much easier.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Arbok wrote:I associate Toho's preferred English title with all of the films. That's what we use on the site, so it's second nature from writing about this for so long. The only "quasi" exception is actually Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack... because GMK is so much easier.
Agreed.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote: Don't forget AHHHH! LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!!!!
That was a really well-executed line, IMO.

BOT:

1954 - Gojira. The two versions are distinctly different from each other, and since the original is the one I watch most of the time, the original title is what I think of.

1955 - nowadays it's Godzilla Raids Again, although as a young kid I knew it "just as well" by Gigantis, the Fire Monster. I used quotes because I hardly knew about this movie at all.

1964 - Mothra vs. Godzilla. I had an awkward history with my copies of this movie, so I knew it by both MvsG and vs. the Thing. Since I started using the internet, though, I have trained myself to know it as MvsG.

(For the record, I do like Ghidorah's international title, Three Giant Monsters: Greatest Battle On Earth)

1965 - Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. When I was younger, I knew it only as Monster Zero. Since the internet, I started unconsiously training myself to always call it by the Astro-Monster title; however, since re-watching the film dubbed (and liking it a lot), I have re-re-trained myself to call it Monster Zero.
(Again, for the record, both titles are cool, as well as the Japanese title Great Monster War. :xilien: )

1966 - Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep is a nice title, but Sea Monster is forever ingrained in my mind.

1969 - I flip-flop between All Monsters Attack and Godzilla's Revenge nowadays. Neither title is particularly better or worse than the other.

1971 - Godzilla vs. Hedorah today, although when I was younger I think I would go with Smog Monster just as easily.

1972 - Godzilla vs. Gigan, no contest. I never even heard of its other title until recent years.
(BTW, Godzilla on Monster Island would have been a much more appropriate title for AMA.)

1974 - Again, no contest. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Cosmic Monster and Bionic Monster were foreign names to me when I was younger.

1992 - I go with the Battle For Earth title, because it helps to differentiate this film from the '64 classic. The title might be cheesy, but you know what? It's appropriate in this case. :P

1993 - again, I often call it Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II just to differentiate it from the original, even though the 'II' makes no sense.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

In most cases, I use the original American titles for all the films. I'll use the international titles if I'm specifically talking about those versions or the Japanese versions. If I'm talking about a specific edited version (e.g. GODZILLA VS. THE COSMIC MONSTER), I'll use that version's title in lieu of any more common title.

A few exceptions:
  • I'll often call the original film GODZILLA, even if talking about the US version. It's easier to type and say.
    GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN instead of GIGANTIS, unless I'm talking about the US version.
    I switch back and forth on MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA and GODZILLA VS. THE THING.
    I use both GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER and GODZILLA'S REVENGE for all English and Japanese versions.
    GODZILLA VS. GIGAN instead of GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND, since the international version is the one I grew up with.
    GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA for the same reason as above.
    GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA instead of GODZILLA AND MOTHRA...
    "GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (1993)" instead of GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA II
I also abbreviate most of the Millennium films (G2K, GXM, GMK, GXMG), since that's what everyone called them back when they were in production. Sometimes I'll leave "Godzilla" out of TOKYO SOS and FINAL WARS for the sake of brevity.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

True, but usually 'II' implies a sequel, and the '93 film is completely unrelated to the '74 original.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Tyler wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:^"Taaattsuuuiiiiii, telephone!"
"She's as loud as my machine!"
Or, if you prefer the dubs, "I wonder who could be calling me on the telephone."
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think it's "flat out stupid", but it's sure not the best name for it. Toho should have just called it GODZILLA VS. SUPER MECHAGODZILLA, which is actually the title it's filed under in the Library of Congress.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^I think I just found my new preferred title for that film. Thanks Himes!
Legion1979 wrote:The title is flat out stupid on so many levels.
Not any more stupid than naming two different films the same thing.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla King of the Monsters (or Gojira for the Japanese edit)
Godzilla Raids Again
King Kong vs Godzilla
Mothra vs Godzilla or
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster
Godzilla vs Monster Zero
Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla
Terror of Mecha-Godzilla

Godzilla 1985 (or The Return of Godzilla for the Japanese edit)
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla II
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah

Godzilla 2000
Godzilla x Megaguirus
GMK
Godzilla x Mecha-Godzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (or sometimes just Tokyo SOS)
Godzilla: Final Wars (or sometimes Final Wars or even just GFW)

Rodan
Varan the Unbelievable
Mothra
The Mysterians
Atragon
Dagora the Space Monster
Battle in Outer Space
Gorath
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas
Latitude Zero
Yamato Takeru (I almost never call it Orochi)
Rebirth of Mothra
Mothra 2
Mothra 3
King King Escapes
Yog: Monster From Space

and for good measure

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera 2: The Invasion of Legion
Gamera 3: The Awakening of Iris
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

I generally refer to them by their DVD titles (earlier releases, as far as the Simitar/Classic Media releases go XD).