Rolisica & other fictional Toho Nations

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Rolisica & other fictional Toho Nations

Post by KaijuDuke »

You notice how Toho's created a number of fictional countries for their films over the years? Rolisica, Selgia, Saradia etc (kinda reminds ya of DC & Marvel comics in a way). What do you think of them? Would you like to see more of such places in the future? Or just stick to real countries? Personally, I think it might be fun to revisit some of these places, especially if the main antagonist of a film came from one of them.

BTW, does anyone have any images of the Rolisican flag from the original Mothra film? Need it as a reference for a commission lol

The Question
Samurai

Re: Rolisica & other fictional Toho Nations

Post by The Question »

Rolisica was such a cop out it wasn't even funny. For a great movie such as Mothra the only really unenjoyable part of that movie was them basically doing America and calling it "Rolisica".

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

I'd love to see Toho do a remake of Lawrence of Arabia and call it...wait for it...Lawrence of Saradia.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Eh, I always prefer movies/books to use real countries instead of making up fictional ones. Otherwise you end up with the fridge logic problem of "Wait, where IS it?"

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I certainly don't mind the fictional countries. I suspect Toho used them to avoid offending real nations, even if the fictional ones might be closely based on reality.

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Rody wrote:I certainly don't mind the fictional countries. I suspect Toho used them to avoid offending real nations, even if the fictional ones might be closely based on reality.

Yeah, that's what I always figured as well, if you want a villainous government involved in a storyline best to make up one rather than risk offending a real life place. I mean, its one thing to make up a rogue group like the Bio Major corporation from Godzilla Vs Biollante in comparison to having actual govt agents stirring up trouble in foreign countries.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I like having those fictional countries/places/organizations in the films because it makes it much more fun to watch to see this fictional country's attitude to other nations and it's weapons like the Atomic Heat Ray Gun or Red Bamboo Fighter Jets.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

Tyler wrote:
The Question wrote:Rolisica was such a cop out it wasn't even funny. For a great movie such as Mothra the only really unenjoyable part of that movie was them basically doing America and calling it "Rolisica".
It was an amalgam of America and Russia from what I understand.
Didn't the Rolisican flag have an Islamic crescent on it as well? It seems like they were going for a mishmash of different countries, not just doing America and calling it something else. Arguably still a cop out, since Nelson is such a clear emissary of Western capitalism.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Living Corpse wrote:
Rody wrote:I certainly don't mind the fictional countries. I suspect Toho used them to avoid offending real nations, even if the fictional ones might be closely based on reality.
Saudi Arabia was originally gonna be where Agent SSS-9 came from in Godzilla vs Biollante but then the Gulf War happened and they changed it to Saradia.
The Gulf War happened in 1990-1...GvB was out in 89. Do you mean the Iran-Iraq War? :?
In my opinion, of course.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^ you are not...the posterchild for the success of american education. or maybe you are, because there's no way they'd teach the children here about how we totally goofed that up, too.

i love these fictional places. it gives you something else about the world of Godzilla to explore and immerse in. that is something the franchise has always had, and it continues to be a strong point. the details of such places can be poured over, the comparisons abound, all the while clever allusions to real place exist that only a perceptive viewer can truly appreciate...you almost feel like you're reading a very layered novel as opposed to watching a movie about giant monsters and how people react. it's beautiful.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:
three wrote:^ you are not...the posterchild for the success of american education. or maybe you are, because there's no way they'd teach the children here about how we totally goofed that up, too.
I got two wars that were close together mixed up, so what?

Doesn't make me wrong about the name change, Toho did chnage the name to a fictional country because tensions were rising at the time the film was being made so they decided to try and not offend anyone.
they should really ban the whole "hide your online status" thing. this bugs me. ;) (sorry bling, i had to do that).

it's fine. i'm playing with you is all. more importantly i understood your point. i don't necessarily agree with why they did it, but i do find where it ended up appealing and more malleable for the viewer to interpret.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.