Atragon vs Super Atragon

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What Film do you prefer

Atragon (1963)
75%
Super Atragon (1995)
25%

Total votes: 8

movieartman
Yin-Yang Master

Atragon vs Super Atragon

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi
between the toho film Undersea Warship / Atragon (1963) and the animated Super Atragon (1995)
which do you prefer?
i realize this will likely be a one sided answer, but im a Huge fan of SA and i think its a very solid readaption of the same story.

NOTE: For anyone who has not seen Super Atragon the film is on Youtube, its 2 episodes are split in to 5 videos each.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Atragon vs Super Atragon

Postby MaxRebo320 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Never seen SUPER ATRAGON, but I can already tell that the original is better, judging by reviews.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am

The original 1963 film is much better. About the only thing Super Atragon has going for it is the amazing soundtrack, which I would say is one of the best for a Toho production.

It is interesting, though, how the Liberty sub from the film looks to be recycled from a scrapped concept for the Heisei era Gotengo that never happened.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

movieartman
Yin-Yang Master

Postby movieartman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Arbok wrote:About the only thing Super Atragon has going for it is the amazing soundtrack, which I would say is one of the best for a Toho production.

and really fanstastic Animation :eh:

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm

movieartman wrote:and really fanstastic Animation :eh:

Compared to the Studio Ghibli films and other works, the Animation isn't that impressive... however, it's far and away the best OVA animation I have seen, that much is for sure.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I have a soft spot for this 2-part OVA because of the amazing animaiton. Admittedly when I did see early screenings of it in the mid-90's, (before its home video release) I basically expected it to be an Anime copy of the 1963 Toho film. After initial disappointment (and researching the history behind the Gotengo in further detail) I was able to distinguish these as two completely seperate entities. In fact, ADV Films only used the "Atragon" for name recognition purposes since the original Japanese name is completely different. I used to have VHS copies of both parts seperate, but now I have them on DVD as the combined movie version. Contentwise I dont think there is a difference (correct me if i am wrong). But ultimately:

I enjoy "Atragon" as a great Sci-Fi film in Toho's Golden Age

I enjoy "Super Atragagon" as a well developed Anime based on newer (but radically different) source material than the 1963 Toho film.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Return to “General Toho Films”