Is it bad to be a Godzilla fan and like the American remake?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gzilla46
Futurian

Is it bad to be a Godzilla fan and like the American remake?

Post by gzilla46 »

I need to get this off my chest.

Is it considered a crime in the Godzilla community to be a Godzilla fan and have liked the 1998 version? Well, because honestly, I am one of those people. Yes, I am a hardcore Godzilla fan and I actually liked the 1998 remake. Yes, it's possible. Why, I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm not as picky with my Godzilla as most people. And if you think it's because it was the first Godzilla movie I saw, it's not. The first Godzilla thing I came in contact with was the Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee game for Gamecube. The first MOVIE I came across was Godzilla 1985. 98 was ONE of the first, but not THE first.

Anyways, I can completely understand why most people hate it, I don't blame them. But, what I don't like is how other Godzilla fans react to the people saying they liked the movie. I've seen on Youtube some people getting upset at another because the latter liked the American Godzilla. I think that's not good.

It's like Mitt Romney voters flipping out at people who voted for Barrack Obama.

So, is it really a crime for one to be a Godzilla fan and like the American version (and I refuse to call it Zilla or GINO or anything like that, but that's my opinion)?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Shadow
Futurian

Re: Is it bad to be a Godzilla fan and like the American rem

Post by Shadow »

It is a bad thing, you should be ashamed.
The fact that you don't call it GINO or Zilla is... disturbing.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Nope. I like the 1998 film as well, and aside from the monster being Zilla I don't see the hate for it.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Nope. I like the 1998 film as well, and aside from the monster being Zilla I don't see the hate for it.
Yeah. It's fine on its own.
Shadow Arena Records:

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

gzilla46 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Nope. I like the 1998 film as well, and aside from the monster being Zilla I don't see the hate for it.
It's fine, but I will not call that thing Godzilla, that's what I hate about it.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Shadow wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:
It's fine, but I will not call that thing Godzilla, that's what I hate about it.
I understand.
Shadow Arena Records:

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

It is a crime and now i hate you... *kidding*

You can like and dislike anything you want. it's your own personal feelings.
I for one, dont like the Heisei era. I also dont like modern CGI heavy movies, which leaves me in a bad spot for Pacific Rim and mayeb even the new Godzilla movie.

I dont care what people think and nor should you.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well, if it IS a crime, then it shouldn't be. That kind of authoritarian mindset is probably bad for the fandom.

Having said that, most serious Godzilla fans will probably have a hard time understanding how/why you like it. Personally, I find it tolerably enjoyable, but I still think it's a stupid movie.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

ScootaVaran wrote:It is a crime and now i hate you... *kidding*

I for one, dont like the Heisei era. I also dont like modern CGI heavy movies, which leaves me in a bad spot for Pacific Rim and mayeb even the new Godzilla movie.

Aw. That's nice.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But, bad news for you...Godzilla's going to be in CGI for that movie. Maybe they could put animatronics in some shots, I don't know.
Shadow Arena Records:

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

gzilla46 wrote:So, is it really a crime for one to be a Godzilla fan and like the American version
Pack your bags. I want you out of here by dawn tomorrow.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

gzilla46 wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:It is a crime and now i hate you... *kidding*

Aw. That's nice.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But, bad news for you...Godzilla's going to be in CGI for that movie. Maybe they could put animatronics in some shots, I don't know.
What? That was kinda my point...whatever. :roll:
Last edited by ScootaVaran on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Living Corpse wrote:I don't care if you love or hate it.

Just don't call it a Godzilla film. If you don't do that then I don't care.
Boom! Words to live by. This man speaks the truth, and I agree.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I don't care one way or the other. I wouldn't even mind if you called it a Godzilla film. Like what you like. Just don't be surprised when other people's opinions clash with your own.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I don't care one way or the other. I wouldn't even mind if you called it a Godzilla film. Like what you like. Just don't be surprised when other people's opinions clash with your own.
I'm never surprised about that. I WAS surprised that Roland Emmerich was never a fan of Godzilla.

Do you think it would've been better if Michael Bay directed this movie instead of Emmerich? At least Bay stayed true to the Transformers. They had all the things that made Transformers great: Robots turning into cars and fighting each other.

Do you think Bay could've done better at directing Godzilla 98? Why or why not?
Shadow Arena Records:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gzilla46 wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I don't care one way or the other. I wouldn't even mind if you called it a Godzilla film. Like what you like. Just don't be surprised when other people's opinions clash with your own.
I'm never surprised about that. I WAS surprised that Roland Emmerich was never a fan of Godzilla.

Do you think it would've been better if Michael Bay directed this movie instead of Emmerich? At least Bay stayed true to the Transformers. They had all the things that made Transformers great: Robots turning into cars and fighting each other.

Do you think Bay could've done better at directing Godzilla 98? Why or why not?
Bay's a technically more accomplished filmmaker, but the tone and style of his movies is even further from that of the traditional Godzilla movies than is Emmerich's. So, I certainly don't think a Michael Bay Godzilla movie would have been any more like a "real" Godzilla movie than was the '98 film.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Living Corpse wrote:Cept the Bots are supporting characters in their own films. They take a backseat for the humans. No where have I seen this before....
Transformers Armada pretty much did the same thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Living Corpse wrote:I was actually making a stab at GFW. XD
lol You clever bastard, you. :lol:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The iguana is not Godzilla. As a Godzilla movie, G'98 is a disgusting stain on the franchise.

That said, it's an okay monster movie in its own right. I'm not going to call it good, but it has its moments and is generally watchable enough. The blasphemous misuse of the monster's name is the only flaw that's hard to overlook.

But if you like it, even if you want to call it a Godzilla movie, that's perfectly acceptable. To each their own, or something. This site would be pretty mind-numbing if we all agreed on everything.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

JAGzilla wrote: But if you like it, even if you want to call it a Godzilla movie, that's perfectly acceptable. To each their own, or something. This site would be pretty mind-numbing if we all agreed on everything.
Yeah. We'd be like mindless drones with no personalities.
Shadow Arena Records:

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I really like the 1998 Godzilla movie. I actually like it better than some Japanese Godzilla movies. However, I really can't call the creature Godzilla because he deviates too much from his Japanese counterpart.

He is not Godzilla he is a monster in his own right. I like the way he is designed and I do like the approach of acting like he was a real annimal.

As I have said before, my not seeing him as Godzilla is done out of objective observation and it is not laced with the anger most people feel when they say he is not Godzilla. In other words Zilla not being more Godzilla-like never bothered me.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/