Question for the fans (Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
monster Z
Ronin

Question for the fans (Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim)

Postby monster Z » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Ive been observing this forum and a couple of facebook groups the past few days and ive noticed a few things. With the new about Pacific Rim this week it has good reason for fans of the genre to get excited however Ive noticed that Godzilla fans only seem to be getting very offended and upset when people were posting more about the new Godzilla movie than PR. So I ask you this-

Why do some fans feel so threatened and offended if people arent excited for a giant monster movie that isnt Godzilla?

Ive seen some fans get so upset about people posting on Legendarys page about Godzilla instead of Pacific Rim which confuses me because I thought we are all Godzilla fans? They are ripping at each other and I even saw disturbing posts from G-fans about making fun of other fans because they are in their words "obsessing" over the new Godzilla movie. If anything it should be good that so many people are interested in the new Godzilla movie right?

Its no secret that Godzilla is overshadowing Pacific Rim but why some G-fans feel the need to get so upset about it is confusing to me. This doesnt just go to Pacific Rim but other giant monster movies too. People are getting upset with each other over not being excited for another monster movie that isnt Godzilla. Some have used PR as a chance to rag on the new American Godzilla movie which is confusing too.

To me it seems like people are way too invested in Pacific RIm as the "savior" of the giant monster movies. To me it just seems like another film to be excited to see. Most message boards and such people are either excited for this film or not. The Godzilla fans are the only ones Ive seen go absolutely fanatical for PR and bash on people who say they are uninterested in it and are more excited for Godzilla.

So why are fellow G-fans getting so upset that more people are excited for the new Godzilla film rather than Pacific Rim or any other giant monster movie?

My post is not to ment offend or upset anyone but to ask questions.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Question for the fans

Postby MaxRebo320 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Because some fans are idiots like that.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:09 pm

What we've been seeing around here is sort of the opposite: hardcore G-Fans that attack anyone who is excited for a giant monster movie that isn't Legendary's Godzilla.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm by no mean's interested in Pacific Rim at this point but i could careless if anyone is more excited for Pacific Rim then Godzilla.

If anything i hope Pacific Rim is a success an will open interest more for Godzilla, considering there both done by the same company people may view that as a good opportunity to check out a new Godzilla film in hopes it will be as good if not better then Pacific Rim.

monster Z
Ronin

Postby monster Z » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:43 pm

JAGzilla wrote:What we've been seeing around here is sort of the opposite: hardcore G-Fans that attack anyone who is excited for a giant monster movie that isn't Legendary's Godzilla.

With all due respect sir these comments are ones i found disturbing....

Again, what is it with these anti-PR, Godzilla fanboys? Jesus.

You should see some of the stupidity on Legendary's Facebook page ...god, these fantards are annoying...wanna punch them in the face...ಠ_ಠ

And the fanboys can suck a...well yeah.

Their loss. Dunkass fanboys who are so narrow minded about giant monster movies that aren't Godzilla make me laugh.

Same, I can always wait for Godzilla. I like seeing new ideas for kaiju come to the table. Never understood how someone can be a fan of Godzilla or even Kaiju and be so narrow-minded at an opportunity to see something new and possibly original.
Also, they make the rest of the Godzilla fanbase look like a pack of whiny little dumbasses.
Ugh, they can go suck a missile. I'll be busy enjoying other things (and movies) in life.

This is new and it looks very interesting. Can't understand how "fans of Godzilla" aren't pumped for this and keep going, "where's Godzilla? WE WANT GODZILLA!"
Selfish little brats...need to make a joke about them sometime...hmmm.

I honestly read through it and saw no one really "hating" on PR just stating that it got them more excited for the Godzilla movie really and then that seemed to set off a few people.

IMHO shouldnt it be good that this gets people more excited for Godzilla?
Why would people get so offended and upset about people who arent super excited for something because its not part of their franchise? Isnt that the purpose of a fanbase? To get super pumped and excited about new additions to their beloved franchise and to not really worry about other movies that have nothing to do with said franchise?

When you look at other forums for other franchises and such people are either excited about PR or not. It has no major effect on them. BUT its the G-fans that seem to have so much invested in this movie....why is that?

Im not here to take any sides Im just here to ask questions.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 pm

I think they want PR to be a big hit because it will renue interest in the giant monster genre. The Godzilla image is still haunted by the 98 film, so a successful and well reviewed PR may mean giant monsters, like Godzilla, can be taken seriously again.

Personally, I'm interested in the PR film, but not that excited. I can't wait for the new Godzilla film, though.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm

I am equally excited about both movies. I love giant monster movies. I had thought Cloverfield would see a return to these types of movies. It didn't so I hope both Pacific Rim and Godzilla jump start this genre.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby tymon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm

monster Z wrote:With all due respect sir these comments are ones i found disturbing....

Again, what is it with these anti-PR, Godzilla fanboys? Jesus.

I honestly read through it and saw no one really "hating" on PR just stating that it got them more excited for the Godzilla movie really and then that seemed to set off a few people.

I made the above comment that you hilariously find "disturbing". You're simply not understanding the context. For months, the opposite of what you describe has been happening - certain members (who for the millionth time came to the PR thread that day to provide some little jabs when all that new material flooded in) have been getting upset over the fact that some people are more excited for PR than Godzilla. They're personally offended by this fact, and go on rants about how everyone should be more excited for Godzilla simply because it's Godzilla. You're new and haven't seen all the other examples of said members, but I would suggest becoming more familiar with the forum before drawing such conclusions.

I'm more excited for Godzilla than for Pacific Rim. Yet I'm not a fanboy. See how that works?

At the end of the day, it's just people taking this movie/franchise allegiance poop way too seriously. Calm down and just be thankful that we're getting two big budget US kaiju films. :)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Speaking personally, I don't really care about Pacific Rim... not because I have anything against the concept, but just because very few films enter into my radar to be excited about unless they are on a previously created franchise or somehow link to it. For example, if Pacific Rim comes out, gets good reviews and I see it and is awesome, then the sequel will be on my radar.

Until then, I really don't care as it's an unfamiliar brand for me. I wager others are the same. That mentality is actually horrible for motivating Hollywood to make original projects, but there is such a glut of movies and other things coming out at all times that I strictly look out for things that I have a vested interest in already.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Question for the fans (Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim)

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

As others have already noted, you have it backwards. Few, if any, of the people excited for Pacific Rim have bashed someone for being more excited for Godzilla. It's stupid fanboys who come into the PR thread and start ranting about how we can only be excited for Godzilla/should be more excited for Godzilla/get offended at the thought of a Godzilla fan being more excited for something else. It's ridiculous. The posts you quoted were in response to those idiots, not people excited for Godzilla.

tymon wrote: it's just people taking this movie/franchise allegiance poop way too seriously

This. Being a fan doesn't mean you need to be a douche or take things to extremes.

gzilla46
EDF Soldier

Postby gzilla46 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Is it a crime to be excited for both? Because that's what I am. It can actually help you to think, "If this is really awesome, imagine what Godzilla will be like". Because, I hope Pacific Rim does good at the box office and critic-wise. I'll be seeing Pacific Rim, and I'll be seeing Godzilla.

And I'll also be seeing Transformers 4.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 pm

gzilla46 wrote:And I'll also be seeing Transformers 4.

May God have mercy on your soul.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Right now I'm more excited for PR, but that's because there's more to be excited about in it's case. We have a synopsis, we have concept art, we have a release date (I think), we have our first teasers, and a full-length trailer coming out VERY soon.
Information regarding LPG has been scarcer and vaguer. A year from now, though, I'll probably be going nuts in anticipation.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Postby Carthormerr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm

I view Pacific Rim as a tasty appetizer before the main course
"A monster can live forever"

monster Z
Ronin

Postby monster Z » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Jomei wrote:You quoted a bunch of irritated people from the Pacific Rim thread, but you left out the dunkass comments that preceded them. Comments to the effect of "Ehh just give me Godzilla" and such. And the frustration about posts on Legendary's page is about Godzilla fans SPAMMING the poop out of Pacific Rim image posts, saying, "GIVE US GODZILLA" and similar nonsense instead of talking about the topic at hand. Pacific Rim is not Godzilla, and it's just damned rude and fanboyish to insist on making every post about Pacific Rim a chance to demand Godzilla instead.

For example, someone posted the new viral Pacific Rim teaser in the TK Facebook group. So what did people talk about? "Man, just imagine how great it's going to be when Godzilla's marketing campaign starts!!!" And that's all they talked about then. Ridiculous.

No one really cares if people aren't interested in Pacific Rim. Cool, awesome, your loss, etc. But people need to drop their "Godzilla or bust" attitudes in Pacific Rim threads. It's those who have tunnel vision set on this new Godzilla film that are making this into an "either or" situation with Pacific Rim.

With all due respect sir I really dont see what the problem is. I saw the facebook posts. The fans posting about Godzilla have done it on other Legendary posts not just Pacific Rim and they've been doing it for awhile so when you get upset about them doing it on PR posts only it sounds like you are getting upset that more people were posting about Godzilla over PR.

Its one thing for fans to get upset when someone is trolling in the topic forum.....however its another thing to get upset that people would prefer to talk about the new Godzilla movie over it. Just shows how much people are excited for it.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 pm

monster Z wrote:The fans posting about Godzilla have done it on other Legendary posts not just Pacific Rim and they've been doing it for awhile so when you get upset about them doing it on PR posts only it sounds like you are getting upset that more people were posting about Godzilla over PR.

I cannot fathom the logic that would lead to that conclusion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Postby Destroyer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm

There are two American giant monster movies coming out in the next two years. Pacific Rim is the first American giant monster movie since Cloverfield, and GODZILLA is the first G film since 2004 and America's second attempt at doing a G film. They're both from the same company, but different films. As a longtime Godzilla fan, I am more excited for G, but I am also extremely excited for Pacific Rim. They're both the first American giant monster films in awhile. It's not 'vs,' it's awaiting Pacific Rim, enjoying it, then the following year enjoying a new Godzilla film in the theater. Giant monster movies are coming back, there should be great excitement for that, I'm hoping they both do good.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

monster Z
Ronin

Postby monster Z » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 am

Jomei wrote:So it makes it better that they're indiscriminately spamming instead of spamming on just Pacific Rim? That's simply obnoxious.

But why is it the Godzilla fans only who get upset about it? No one else makes a big fuss about it.

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

Destroyer wrote:There are two American giant monster movies coming out in the next two years. Pacific Rim is the first American giant monster movie since Cloverfield, and GODZILLA is the first G film since 2004 and America's second attempt at doing a G film. They're both from the same company, but different films. As a longtime Godzilla fan, I am more excited for G, but I am also extremely excited for Pacific Rim. They're both the first American giant monster films in awhile. It's not 'vs,' it's awaiting Pacific Rim, enjoying it, then the following year enjoying a new Godzilla film in the theater. Giant monster movies are coming back, there should be great excitement for that, I'm hoping they both do good.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I love giant monster movies. I am more excited about Godzilla because I have been a fan since 1968! Pacific Rim is new and I know little about it but that doesn't mean I feel the two franchises are in competition. I am happy that we may be getting a resurgance of the genre that Cloverfield predicted but never delivered on.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Jomei wrote:
monster Z wrote:
Jomei wrote:So it makes it better that they're indiscriminately spamming instead of spamming on just Pacific Rim? That's simply obnoxious.

But why is it the Godzilla fans only who get upset about it? No one else makes a big fuss about it.

Prove that is the case.

Yeah, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Return to “General Toho Films”