Guest Starring Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Guest Starring Godzilla

Post by Julia Bristow »

Godzilla vs Megalon: In a way its Jet Jaguar's movie as he is the star monster (besides Megalon) of this film. Here, Godzilla is reduced to the role of a sidekick.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pretty much agree with you, except about GMK. The humans and the Guardian Monsters are the heroes, sure, but Godzilla is the driving force of the plot, and thematically the movie is very much fixated on Godzilla as a symbol for human mistakes haunting those who forget the past.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

It's funny, I was actually gonna bring up this same subject.

A big one for me has to be Mothra vs Godzilla. Not only did he lose and was veiw only as the enemy but Godzilla isn't even the first name in the title. lol
I personally believe that movie should be considered one of Mothras movie.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I don't see how Godzilla didn't have a big role, who mind you was top billed here in the states, though the advertising would make you think otherwise... He was the primary antagonist and the corporates only worsened the situation. Coupled with the Frontier Missile assault, in this picture he probably has the most screen time in any of the original films!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

''Terror of Mechagodzilla'' for a fact. Mechagodzilla is the main star, not that I am complaining, seeing how TOMG is in my top 10.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:''Terror of Mechagodzilla'' for a fact. Mechagodzilla is the main star, not that I am complaining, seeing how TOMG is in my top 10.
That oen is very much "Ichinose vs. the Evil Aliens and their Monsters," and, "The Tragic Story of Titanosaurus." Either way, Godzilla is a plot device, not the heart of the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla is basically our heroes' ticket off Letchi Island in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. He doesn't even appear (awake) until around 50 minutes in to the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

CTHimes wrote:Godzilla is basically our heroes' ticket off Letchi Island in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. He doesn't even appear (awake) until around 50 minutes in to the movie.
Yeah, really you could take all of the monsters out of that movie, and you'd still ahve the same basic story.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Spoiler:
It seems that the Legendary Pictures movie forced more on the MUTO then Godzilla. I think a more appropriate title for it would of been Godzilla vs The MUTO. (Though the movie probably would of been less marketable if they did call it that. So there's that.)
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

Battra_96
Yojimbo

Post by Battra_96 »

Misleading marketing is what bothers me about this movie. Not the movie itself. I initially gave it a 5/10 and on more and more reflection that's going up. I have a feeling after I see it a second time that it will go up more. Its just that the first time I watched it, my expectations got shattered so much, that by the time the end fight came, I had lost my intense interest. But I've said this on other topics, they did alot of things wrong, but they knocked the big guy's design out of the park. He looks fantastic and alive
Godzilla!!!!!!

Gamingboy
Yojimbo

Post by Gamingboy »

King Kong vs. Godzilla also is a case of "Godzilla getting second-billed"...

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Gamingboy wrote:King Kong vs. Godzilla also is a case of "Godzilla getting second-billed"...
King Kong's name does come first in the title though, but the movie is a cross-over film so it's not really specifically a Godzilla or a King Kong film. It kinda belongs to both of them.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's Revenge is another one. It's mainly Ichiro and Minya with some stock footage of Godzilla's past movies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Shisa Caesar
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shisa Caesar »

eabaker wrote:Pretty much agree with you, except about GMK. The humans and the Guardian Monsters are the heroes, sure, but Godzilla is the driving force of the plot, and thematically the movie is very much fixated on Godzilla as a symbol for human mistakes haunting those who forget the past.
The same with Kiryu films, right? I havent seen them in a while. As long as the story is about people trying to deal with the problem of Gojira he doesnt need to have most of the screen time for the story to revolved around him.
eabaker wrote:
CTHimes wrote:Godzilla is basically our heroes' ticket off Letchi Island in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. He doesn't even appear (awake) until around 50 minutes in to the movie.
Yeah, really you could take all of the monsters out of that movie, and you'd still ahve the same basic story.
I think this movie was just some action movie that happened to have a giant lobster in the story then some one in Toho decided to throw in some Gojira just because.

One addition that should be made here is the new movie. He was tremendously the guest star here and this movie seriously needed a VS title.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I agree with these. I think Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge are the biggest offenders of, "Oh yeah, Godzilla's in this too."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The only reason Godzilla is in G vs Sea Monster is because Toho didn't want to pay for King Kong.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.