If Toho re-release the older Godzilla films again

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: If Toho re-release the older Godzilla films again

Postby eabaker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 am

1983, while coming after the advent of home video technology, was still before that technology had become nearly universally accessible. For a large portion of the public, going to see those movies in a theatrical re-release was the only way to see them. Thirty years later, that is very much not the case, and such a re-release would probably only appeal to a niche market.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 am

The chance to re-release them is now, doing something like a 3D conversion on a few to see if audiences bite. However, even though the re-releases in 1980 and before were big hits, I don't think modern audiences would jump at it. Kaiju on the big screen haven't been doing well at the box office ever since 2000 (with only GMK and Against Mechagodzilla doing okay), and I don't think re-releasing the older films would change those fortunes at this point in time.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would imagine that they could be pretty big hits since the Japanese have more nostalgia to those films then we do.

Well, I don't know about that. Monster movies (Japanese and American) have not done well in Japan in the past decade or so, as Arbok mentioned.

I've also heard that these movies weren't typically shown on television in Japan as they were in America. To see these in Japan, you had to see them in theaters or on home video (which is considerably more expensive there than it is here). That's one reason why Ultraman (which is essentially free) is much more popular than Godzilla with the last few generations.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

What I'm really hoping for is for Toho to put out a definitive DVD or Blu ray boxset of the whole G series. Still they ould re relase Godzilla's Revenge in Imax 3D and I would tyr and see it.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:30 pm

If they intend to re-release King Kong vs. Godzilla, Toho seriously needs to finally bite the bullet and give it a proper restoration.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

pikmintaro
JXSDF Technician

Postby pikmintaro » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 pm

cloverfan98 wrote:What I'm really hoping for is for Toho to put out a definitive DVD or Blu ray boxset of the whole G series. Still they ould re relase Godzilla's Revenge in Imax 3D and I would tyr and see it.

Out of all the movies they could release in Imax 3D why would they do Godzilla's Revenge? I mean seriously my mouth was hanging open when I read that.

Is Godzilla's Revenge such a great Godzilla movie that it deserves to be the first in Imax 3D? don't you think there are better Godzilla films that would be more suitable, and that represent the series better?
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm

pikmintaro wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:What I'm really hoping for is for Toho to put out a definitive DVD or Blu ray boxset of the whole G series. Still they ould re relase Godzilla's Revenge in Imax 3D and I would tyr and see it.

Out of all the movies they could release in Imax 3D why would they do Godzilla's Revenge? I mean seriously my mouth was hanging open when I read that.

Is Godzilla's Revenge such a great Godzilla movie that it deserves to be the first in Imax 3D? don't you think there are better Godzilla films that would be more suitable, and that represent the series better?

You seem to have missed the point. "Godzilla's Revenge" was selected as an example because it is an example of one of the least beloved series entries, making it a perfect demonstration of the extremity of cloverfan98's desire to see any Godzilla movies reissued to the big screen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:13 pm

What Toho ought to do first is get off their lazy butts and give their films the sort of home video presentations they deserve. Full-blown restorations wouldn't even be necessary to outdo the steaming pile of filth that is their HD remasters. Their releases aren't just poor quality, they're disrespectful. The company has dropped the ball in some way on every single format and I expect them to continue unless they are compelled to start giving a care about how their own movies look to the public.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:26 pm

They already have the Final box set in Japan. If you mean in the region one market or something, sadly there's about zero chance of that since the licenses to the films fall to various different companies. Sony has about half of the movies, CM has another good chunk, and the rest are random (MB, EB, Universal, etc). One company like Sony would have to sub-license the rest of the films. It COULD happen of course, but it's not likely.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ScootaVaran
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby ScootaVaran » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Are we talking about being re-release in theaters? like Star Wars and movies alike?

Honestly, I doubt i would be successful. It would be awesome for us fans but the general public wouldn't care.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I would love, though, to see Luigi Cozzi create more reissue versions with psychedelic color effects, inventive sound design and stock footage of real-life human suffering.

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Didn't Gojira do mediocre in it's American re-release in 2004?
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:41 am

JVM wrote:Didn't Gojira do mediocre in it's American re-release in 2004?

I'm not sure what their projections were. It was never released in many theaters though.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 am

I always thought it did pretty good, especially early in its release in terms of per theater revenue... but it was a very, very limited release of the film. I assume we are talking about wide release, not showing the film at 10-20 theaters.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Alexzilla408
Yojimbo

Postby Alexzilla408 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Arbok wrote:

I always thought it did pretty good, especially early in its release in terms of per theater revenue... but it was a very, very limited release of the film. I assume we are talking about wide release, not showing the film at 10-20 theaters.

I was unaware that this ever happened. I am disappoint.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

ThatDude100
Ronin

Postby ThatDude100 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 am

I think it would be successful. Godzilla has tons of fans, so, showing the other movies in theaters wouldn't be crappy at all. Also, it might have new fans of it. People that have at least heard of Godzilla, but, have never seen any of the movies. I think it's like video games being on sale again after decades.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 am

It would be great if all the Showa Godzilla films got a release like Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster, All Monster's Attack, and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

The commentary tracks for those were interesting and the other extras were great.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

The box office data for GODZILLA's 2004 US release still exists:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godzilla04.htm

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

cloverfan98 wrote:What I'm really hoping for is for Toho to put out a definitive DVD or Blu ray boxset of the whole G series.

Well I'm not sure about Blu-Ray, but Toho DID release a definitive DVD Box Set in 2005:

To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:05 am

eabaker wrote:1983, while coming after the advent of home video technology, was still before that technology had become nearly universally accessible. For a large portion of the public, going to see those movies in a theatrical re-release was the only way to see them. Thirty years later, that is very much not the case, and such a re-release would probably only appeal to a niche market.

In the United States I would agree, but Japan has a seemingly different culture. Unless things have changed in the past decade (and they may have), even when home media was readily available, fans in Japan seem to love going to the theater. I dont know if converting older Godzilla films to 3D would be worth any effort, but I would wager that any older film, even in standard form, would get a decent return if re-released, kind of like how Disney films do in the United States (minus the 3D treatment). I am blown away at how many seemingly "average" anime series get theatrical release of some sort in Japan. Many movies released in the US as "direct-to-dvd" even get a theater release in Japan.

If Godzilla is really as unpopular as some people are making it out to be, it almost feels as if North America has a stronger fanbase than Japan, yet the abundance of merchandise that is still being produced in Japan seems to tell a different story.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Return to “General Toho Films”