What is the Godzilla franchise missing?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

A lot of fanboy franchises are dominating the box office these days and merchandise in the stores.
The Major ones are-
Star Wars
Marvel
DC
Transformers
Gi Joe
TMNT

Godzilla has a long running history but is not up there with those Elite ones....yes you still can find some merchandise in stores but not in bundles like you see the other stuff.
So what would you say Godzilla is missing to become an Elite major franchise like those others? We have toys, comics, clothes etc.

I say its missing an American series of movies. We came SO SO close to having that in 98 with the SONY American Godzilla trilogy and then when GINO failed it put the franchise in a major set back.
With Legendarys film officially coming it has potential to make this an Elite major franchise here in America.

But what do you think? Different opinion or idea?
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Mr. X
Keizer

Re: What is the Godzilla franchise missing?

Post by Mr. X »

Non-bitchy fans.

*Ba-dum-tish!*

In all seriousness, I believe LP could revive intrest in the Godzilla franchise. We need LP's movie, IMO.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

gatorzilla wrote:With Legendarys film officially coming it has potential to make this an Elite major franchise here in America.
I think that sums it up. What Godzilla needs in America is a series of well received, box office hits that will then lead the masses to check out the other films and merchandise available.

Getting that is incredibly difficult, and even if the Legendary Pictures film is well reviewed it may not be a box office hit... but that's basically the recipe to starting a strong franchise in America, along with continued product to keep the interest (be it TV shows, new movies, or whatever).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The franchises you mention are in part merchandisable because of the size of their respective universes. They're all series with recurring ensemble casts, a variety of vehicles and weapons that can be produced, and generally a lot of different potentially iconic aspects within any one entry; basically, they're ideally suited to a huge variety of merchandise.

No monster franchise in the style of Godzilla or King Kong is ever going to be suited to that kind of mass-merchandising.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'll mention this while I'm thinking about it: although I would like Godzilla to become more popular, I also don't want the franchise to become as huge as some of the other franchises, like Star Wars.
I don't expect it to, but that's my two cents.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Godzilla never been a huge movie franchise in the US recently because it's a Japanese franchise and Japanese stuff don't appeal to the US audience.
Given the popularity of anime in the last decade, I'd say at least some Japanese stuff appeals to American audiences.

But yes, being foreign can't help Godzilla's case much. Another significant problem is simply the age of the franchise: most of the movies are several decades old, and made with outdated effects technology. The average moviegoer today doesn't want that. If it isn't new, high-tech, and flashy, it's not likely to be popular. LP's modern Hollywood take on Godzilla stands a decent chance of getting attention, but I don't expect that Toho's movies will ever get much mainstream respect here. Best case is that LPG will spawn a successful American Godzilla franchise that respects the source material.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I was including kids in my statement. Anime is obviously very big with them. And being the primary buyers of toys and a lot of other merch, kids go a long way toward making most of the big franchises (Star Wars, superheroes, etc.) as succesful as they are.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

More hot babes in the movies.
Akane, Miki... mooooreee bitches.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

...................No. Not really.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

...............Yes. Really.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

What, giant monsters aren't enough eye candy?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Here's what I'd like to ask: What are the fans missing?

I'll answer it, too: You guys are missing the chance to savor a mostly wonderful franchise that hasn't swelled and become bloated like a canker as the "majors" have. Seriously, who cares? Enjoy Godzilla's current presence as it is, because popularity won't magically make him better or more acceptable to mainstream audiences.

Tired of this genre of thread.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tamura wrote:Here's what I'd like to ask: What are the fans missing?

I'll answer it, too: You guys are missing the chance to savor a mostly wonderful franchise that hasn't swelled and become bloated like a canker as the "majors" have. Seriously, who cares? Enjoy Godzilla's current presence as it is, because popularity won't magically make him better or more acceptable to mainstream audiences.

Yeah, I have yet to gather any understanding of why some posters seem to want Godzilla to become more mainstream.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

What is wrong exactly with Godzilla becoming more mainstream? If anything it gives us more movies and merchandise and a bigger fan base. Please tell me where that is bad? :eh:

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I feel that the only thing the franchise is missing is Bagan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

zilla-x wrote:

What is wrong exactly with Godzilla becoming more mainstream? If anything it gives us more movies and merchandise and a bigger fan base. Please tell me where that is bad? :eh:
I like the Godzilla franchise for what it is. The nature of the series - its style, its tone, its realization - is what keeps it from being mainstream. Becoming more mainstream would mean becoming less of all the things that I like about it, in order to appeal more to the mass audience.

There are plenty of properties out there for the mainstream audience. I don't want to see something that I love transformed to appeal to them. They don't need Godzilla.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I completely agree with Tamura's post. As I said before, even though it would be nice for the Godzilla franchise to gain more respectable attention, I don't want to see it become as big as Star Wars or other mainstream franchises. In my opinion, it would only get messy if that happened, and Godzilla has a couple of nasty spots already.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It's missing diverse entries with dependent serialized stories and recurring characters with strong personalities.

Obviously to us as fans it has all of that, but to the casual audience, it lacks all of those things, as contradictory as that sounds. To us, GFW and DAM are miles apart, but to a bunch of stupid kids who go to the movies, it's all the same shit. The little bits of monster personality are lost on these people, hurting a lot of the appeal as well.

I won't even comment on the rest of this debate, as much as I really want to.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Dr. Johnson
Yojimbo

Post by Dr. Johnson »

Daring directors who have the guts to challenge Toho's stupid lack of creativity.
Godzilla has a brain about this size, he's sheer brute force, while Kong... is a thinking animal.

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

Legion1979 wrote:

Holy shit this!

I don't want Godzilla be like Batman or Star Wars or Transformers. I LIKE that Japanese giant monster films are a niche genre. That's one of the best things about it. Are people so insecure about their interest in these movies that they NEED Godzilla to be a blockbuster American franchise. IMHO that's pretty sad. Enjoy this franchise for what it is and not for what it isn't and probably never will be.
You know what else is sad? Fans afraid of growth and expansion in a franchise. Why shouldnt Godzilla get a blockbuster American franchise? If anything that is a WIN for us fans....but then you have the ones that are too afraid to see the franchise expand which is going to happen like it or not. Get over it and be happy for the future.