Could any version of Godzilla survive a Nuclear Bomb?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Could any version of Godzilla survive a Nuclear Bomb?

Post by Vatarian »

Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Vatarian wrote:The point you guys are missing is that it's his internal temp that has to he 1200° celsius to melt. That does not mean a weapon that is 1200° will kill him. It means that a weapon capable of heating a large part of his body to that temperature for any length of time will kill him.

Godzilla is obviously greatly insulated; he walks out of lava not even steaming, and despite his ray and internal reactor, his body was too cold for the ANEB to breed.
I don't only mean 1200 degrees celsius can kill him, i also mean whether temperatures of a million degrees Celsius can kill him?
Evidently not. At least in the cases of Legendary and Heisei Godzilla.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Vatarian wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Vatarian wrote:The point you guys are missing is that it's his internal temp that has to he 1200° celsius to melt. That does not mean a weapon that is 1200° will kill him. It means that a weapon capable of heating a large part of his body to that temperature for any length of time will kill him.

Godzilla is obviously greatly insulated; he walks out of lava not even steaming, and despite his ray and internal reactor, his body was too cold for the ANEB to breed.
I don't only mean 1200 degrees celsius can kill him, i also mean whether temperatures of a million degrees Celsius can kill him?
Evidently not. At least in the cases of Legendary and Heisei Godzilla.
So can temperatures of million degrees Celsius(which is hotter than lava) be able to kill the Heisei Godzilla? If not, can you give me proof/evidence why Godzilla cannot be killed by the heat?

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Well, according to http://phycomp.technion.ac.il/~anastasy ... node5.html along with a few other sites I looked at, diamond melts at roughly 5,000° k. Now, that's debatatble, as for a long time scientists thought diamond COULDN'T be melted and simply convert straight to gas, but after some accidents in a lab where people were trying to create artificial diamonds and stuff..... I'm babbling. The point is, Godzilla's atomic ray was hot enough to melt a bigass diamond, aka, the firemirror, in only a few shots.

That's his regular ray. Apparantly 5000+ degrees kelvin. His spiral-ray is like.... I forget.... Five, ten times hotter than his regular ray?

And Godzilla has never shown any indication of discomfort when using his ray. Thus I must conclude that a nuke would most probably fail to kill Heisei Godzilla just as it did Legendary. Especially when you look at the fact that he is capable of functioning at temps just below his melting/burning/dying-point right up until he dies.

I don't think the nuke would transfer enough of its heat into Godzilla for long enough to kill kr even significantly injure him even if it WAS hot enough to be potentially fatal. He really sucks at thermal-conduction.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Vatarian wrote:Well, according to http://phycomp.technion.ac.il/~anastasy ... node5.html along with a few other sites I looked at, diamond melts at roughly 5,000° k. Now, that's debatatble, as for a long time scientists thought diamond COULDN'T be melted and simply convert straight to gas, but after some accidents in a lab where people were trying to create artificial diamonds and stuff..... I'm babbling. The point is, Godzilla's atomic ray was hot enough to melt a bigass diamond, aka, the firemirror, in only a few shots.

That's his regular ray. Apparantly 5000+ degrees kelvin. His spiral-ray is like.... I forget.... Five, ten times hotter than his regular ray?

And Godzilla has never shown any indication of discomfort when using his ray. Thus I must conclude that a nuke would most probably fail to kill Heisei Godzilla just as it did Legendary. Especially when you look at the fact that he is capable of functioning at temps just below his melting/burning/dying-point right up until he dies.

I don't think the nuke would transfer enough of its heat into Godzilla for long enough to kill kr even significantly injure him even if it WAS hot enough to be potentially fatal. He really sucks at thermal-conduction.
How would you know? the spiral ray stripped Super-mechagodzilla of its diamond plating so that must be the proof?

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

No. The Fire-Mirror was said to he diamond...... Godzilla's ray melted/destroyedbit.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Vatarian wrote:No. The Fire-Mirror was said to he diamond...... Godzilla's ray melted/destroyedbit.
The fire mirror from Godzilla vs Biollante

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Vatarian wrote:No. The Fire-Mirror was said to he diamond...... Godzilla's ray melted/destroyedbit.
yes. that's the one.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

three wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:
yes. that's the one.
Sure but what about the Tsar Bomba & nuclear bunker buster? Can't it be able to kill the Heisei Godzilla?!

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Of course! Here's what I'd say about whether each incarnation of Godzilla could tank a nuke (possibly excluding some versions from comics or something):

Defintely:

Godzilla '54
tymon wrote:"Dr. Yamane, if there's a way to kill Godzilla, we'd like to hear it"
"Impossible. Godzilla was baptised in an atomic blast...what could possibly kill him now?"

That's pretty much the premise, guys. ;)
This.

Final Wars Godzilla
Resized Image

IDW Godzilla
Getting nuked is pretty much the first thing that happens to him!

Legendary Godzilla
He was nuked at least once and survived, plus there are lots of interviews talking about how he's an unstoppable force of nature.

Most Likely:

Marvel Godzilla
I've only gotten halfway through the series, so there could be something later on that confirms it one way or the other, but I do know that he was attacked by a laser which, iirc, was stated to be the most powerful weapon on Earth, and was only burned a bit, and he was able to take on the Avengers (which included Thor), the Fantastic Four, and a Helicarrier at the same time and wasn't defeated. When the "Megan" aliens attacked, they sent their monsters to attack the most powerful beings on Earth (Marvel Earth, mind you), and their first target would've been Godzilla if he hadn't been on the Moon at the time (long story); instead, they attacked Red Ronin, the robot built to stop him. This presumably means both Godzilla and Red Ronin are more powerful than the likes of the Hulk and Thor, who can both tank nukes. However, there's at least one part where a character was afraid that a nuke was going to kill Godzilla (although said character was 12 years old), and he's definitely not unstoppable to mankind (he gets KO'd by chloroform.)

Heisei Godzilla
They never even bother with trying to nuke him after G'84 despite the fact that that Japan is shown to be capable of and willing to use nuclear weapons in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, in which they use their nuclear sub to revive Godzilla instead of attacking KG (presumably because they've figured out it would be useless). Plus, in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, he survives the event that destroys Birth Island, which I'm pretty sure is referred to as a "nuclear blast," and he's capable of containing the energy building up in his body until it reaches planet-busting levels. There is, however, just the tiniest bit of doubt due to plot-convenient scenes where rockets or darts apparently penetrate his skin, and the fact that he's not really depicted as an unstoppable force all of the time.

GMK Godzilla
He has that extremely tough hide, and is depicted very much as a juggernaut who is only defeated by his own power due to a wound inflicted by a drill missile from inside his throat, which only worked by exacerbating a wound already inflicted by Ghidorah's ultimate attack. However, said attack could be used to say he can't tank a nuke if you interpret it as being a simple "bomb" attack (which I don't; I think the explosions it caused were basically just a flashy side effect, like with energy beam attacks), in which case it would be much weaker than a nuke.

Maybe:

Showa Godzilla
He's about as inconsistent as a comic book character. Some movies follow the original and treat him and other monsters as unstoppable forces, such as Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, in which Ghidorah wiped out a planet with technology hundreds of years ahead of mankind, and Destroy All Monsters, in which mankind can only stop the monsters by breaking their mind control. In Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, however, he is injured by the explosion caused by his beam clash with MG, and in Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, he seems to be afraid of the island's nuclear self-destruct. Determining Showa Godzilla's durability is about as hard as figuring out how electricity affects him.

MireGoji
Godzilla 2000 was hurt by those full metal missiles or whatever they're called, but that could just mean he's more vulnerable to piercing attacks (they were very powerful piercing attacks), and he could still be able to withstand the heat and pressure of a nuke. The Godzilla vs. Megaguirus incarnation at least survived the nuke-level explosion of a black hole evaporating, if not being outright sucked into a black hole.

KiryuGoji
The fact that Japan went to the trouble of building a giant robot equipped with an Absolute Zero Cannon suggests that nothing else could stop him, but there's at least one scene where he's hurt by seemingly normal missiles; it could simply be that the Japan of this universe, like in the real world, is strictly anti-nuclear weapons.
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.
-Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Living Corpse wrote: Legendary Godzilla survived a nuke yes, but we have nothing suggesting he wasn't harmed by it. In fact we have evidence of the opposite, normal rockets and missiles, while not harming him, did sting and irritate him.
We have statements by the director that he is an unstoppable force of nature. Presumably, that doesn't mean "unstoppable unless we use nukes."
Living Corpse wrote:So Heisei might, and I say MIGHT, survive a nuke. He's gonna be hurt and won't be walking away without a headache though.

Living Corpse wrote:The aliens studied Godzilla (and other Earth monsters) for years, so it'd make sense he'd be injured by MG's eye rays. They were made specifically for him and seem to be equal to his breath when they clashed.
I meant the explosion caused by MG's beams and his Atomic Ray clashing, not just the beams themselves, made Godzilla bleed.

I'm not arguing that nukes are deadly to Showa Godzilla, I prefer going with the examples from GtTM and DAM and saying that nukes can't kill him.
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.
-Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

At least in the dubs in the showa series it was said a couple of times nukes would kill Godzilla but it wasn't worth the damage to the country.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

the only reason i would think Heisei survives a nuke is that it feels off of radiation, so if you nuke it, it grows stronger immediately and survives that punch.

you'd need to figure out how big the bomb would need to be to kill a Godzilla the next size up if you wanted to kill Heisei with a nuke, and that's likely impossible. you'd constantly increase his power, all while damaging an entire area of land/sea and making it useless. the futility of the action would be astounding. it just makes more sense to let him live.

same with LP Godzilla, though it was heavily implied that the nuke they would have used would have worked (the correction on the tonnage of explosive capacity was pretty much the line that gives it away ---- yes, we can kill it), and i'd point out the comic should not be canon here because surviving a meteor like that is ridiculous to the Nth degree. with that said, yes, LPG could and did survive a nuke at least once already.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Three Heisei can be over loaded with a nuke and will go into Meltdown.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

FW Godzilla
Legendary Godzilla
Heisei Godzilla

These are the only godzilla we can definitively say would survive a nuke at a relatively close distance.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

EmperorGhidorah wrote:FW Godzilla
Legendary Godzilla
Heisei Godzilla

These are the only godzilla we can definitively say would survive a nuke at a relatively close distance.
well any for sure. FW and heisei have god durability!
Resized Image

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

three wrote:same with LP Godzilla, though it was heavily implied that the nuke they would have used would have worked (the correction on the tonnage of explosive capacity was pretty much the line that gives it away ---- yes, we can kill it),
But if you see that scene again, the original Monarch scientists, Dr. Serizawa and his assistant, implied other wise. Plus, even in the opening/trailers of the movie, you'll see Godzilla taking the 15 megaton Castle Bravo nuke head-on (the nuke in San Francisco was stated to be overly scaled down as well compared to Bravo).

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Unit~NoA wrote:
three wrote:same with LP Godzilla, though it was heavily implied that the nuke they would have used would have worked (the correction on the tonnage of explosive capacity was pretty much the line that gives it away ---- yes, we can kill it),
But if you see that scene again, the original Monarch scientists, Dr. Serizawa and his assistant, implied other wise. Plus, even in the opening/trailers of the movie, you'll see Godzilla taking the 15 megaton Castle Bravo nuke head-on (the nuke in San Francisco was stated to be overly scaled down as well compared to Bravo).
yea, but they also state (incorrectly) the CB bomb was smaller (evidenced by the different measurement of the explosive nonsense inside the bomb) which, i guess, since it's all a movie nobody really cared to check on, but translated to the real world it doesn't make as much sense.

it can survive a nuke, but not one as big as they wanted to use. alright, but the original question was: can any version survive a nuke? the answer is yes, it can, even if a nuke of a larger magnitude could kill it.

so, more or less, we have our answer.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

three wrote:
Unit~NoA wrote:
yea, but they also state (incorrectly) the CB bomb was smaller (evidenced by the different measurement of the explosive nonsense inside the bomb) which, i guess, since it's all a movie nobody really cared to check on, but translated to the real world it doesn't make as much sense.

it can survive a nuke, but not one as big as they wanted to use. alright, but the original question was: can any version survive a nuke? the answer is yes, it can, even if a nuke of a larger magnitude could kill it.

so, more or less, we have our answer.
The error in the movie doesn't change the fact that Godzilla ate a 15 megaton nuke. Also Serisawa was incessant that Godzilla and the Mutos would live through the modern nuke.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i'm less interested in the insistence and more interested in the proofs we have of such things.

we have LPG surviving a nuke, so the answer posed to him is indeed a yes.

Heisei Godzilla literally lives off of radiation, in a much more visible way than LPG. it tanks a nuclear submarine and gets bigger, suggesting that if nuked it would simply increased in size and power based off of the amount of radiation released, which means that if hit with the right magnitude of bomb, it lives, and can then survive larger ones.

FW Godzilla stops a meteor with his breath, and survives it erupting at ground zero. yes, it can survive a nuclear bomb.

the Showa Godzillas are huge question marks for me. they bleed very, very often for Godzillas and seem to be on the weaker side. honorable mention (aka "it's possible, but...") goes to GMK Godzilla. i just don't know.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

three wrote:
Heisei Godzilla literally lives off of radiation, in a much more visible way than LPG. it tanks a nuclear submarine and gets bigger, suggesting that if nuked it would simply increased in size and power based off of the amount of radiation released, which means that if hit with the right magnitude of bomb, it lives, and can then survive larger ones.
No, 100 meters is Heisei's max, we are shown if he takes in too much power he goes into Meltdown and Meltdown Godzilla was not bigger than 100 meters which means that after he absorbs enough power to use the spiral ray he is at his limit.

Heisei might surivie a nuke but he would not grow bigger and he would then go into Meltdown and eventually die.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image