Could any version of Godzilla survive a Nuclear Bomb?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Could any version of Godzilla survive a Nuclear Bomb?

Post by miguelnuva »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: Thats like someone taking an apple with a grenade in it to the face because they're hungry.
If you can tank the apple its not that stupid.
Still gonna hurt like a bitch. We can see him in distress when the tanks shoot him, like bee stings. A nuke will give 'im a booboo no doubt.
Tanking something means it doesn't hurt you. Also we know Godzills was being vocal not that he was being hurt.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

miguelnuva wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
If you can tank the apple its not that stupid.
Still gonna hurt like a bitch. We can see him in distress when the tanks shoot him, like bee stings. A nuke will give 'im a booboo no doubt.
Tanking something means it doesn't hurt you. Also we know Godzills was being vocal not that he was being hurt.
Well there's no way he can tank a nuke then. Sure , he'llsurvive pretty well but it's gonna hurt him in some fashion.

Also, why would he be vocal at that point? I'm pretty sure he was reacting to the tank shells.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: Still gonna hurt like a bitch. We can see him in distress when the tanks shoot him, like bee stings. A nuke will give 'im a booboo no doubt.
Well there's no way he can tank a nuke then. Sure , he'llsurvive pretty well but it's gonna hurt him in some fashion.

Also, why would he be vocal at that point? I'm pretty sure he was reacting to the tank shells.
Same reason most people react when an ant climbs their arm or leg.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

miguelnuva wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Same reason most people react when an ant climbs their arm or leg.
I guess. Pain just makes a lot more sense IMO.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Based on what we see in the moves, no. Of all the Godzillas, legendary is the only confirmed nuke-tanker. Heisei might be able to, given his feats. Shin is also a maybe; even if he doesn't remain intact from the blast, any piece of him remaining will just grow into another Godzilla.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

gzillafan17 wrote:I am inclined to say most if not all Godzilla's could.

Ones I am sure could.

Heisei: Swam through the earth's mantle, came up threw a volcano, staid inside 2 different volcano's for years, his 2 most powerful atomic breath reaches 1.2 million degrees celsius, him and his son survived the destruction of his island. I also don't think a singular nuke could turn him into Burning Godzilla, he absorbed all the radiation from multiple nukes before and all he did was grow and he took no damage from the explosion.

Legenday: He explicitly is stated to have been hit with multiple different nukes, including Castle Bravo.

Original: Again he is explicitly stated to have tanked one and survived.

IDW: Took many different nuclear explosions, inlcuding 3 at once underwater.

GIH: He is a planet buster, he ought to be able to tank a nuke.

Final Wars Godzilla: Took multiple non nuclear massive explosions and came out fine and unscratched.

Most Likely:

Showa: He is of the same species as the original and I believe they say nukes won't work on him in one of the eras movies, he took multiple poundings threw the movies and always survived. His atomic breath alone is 100,000 degrees celsius.

GMK: He created his own mushroom cloud, with bystanders thinking it was a nuclear bomb. And it was right next to him, coming from within him.

2000/GvM: Tanked a mini black hole and destroyed it and created a massive explosion from within Orga and was fine. And he has great regen.

Marvel: Took hits from Thor fine and shots from the most powerful weapon on earth fine.

Maybe:

SOS Godzilla Tanked Absolute Zero, but has a slow regen.
oh yeah, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II may possibly prove that Godzilla's atomic breath could reach the temperature 1.2 million degrees Celsius & that'd be plausible that Godzilla could literally survive a nuclear explosion (especially if it were composite Godzilla!).

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Tanked=\=survived

Different claims.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Taking Awakening completely out of the picture we have absolutely no proof of what shape G14 was after taking that nuke. Slattern took a nuke in Pacific Rim. He was in terrible shape afterwards but he survived.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Breakdown wrote:Based on what we see in the moves, no. Of all the Godzillas, legendary is the only confirmed nuke-tanker. Heisei might be able to, given his feats. Shin is also a maybe; even if he doesn't remain intact from the blast, any piece of him remaining will just grow into another Godzilla.
but i've never thought of Shin Godzilla regenerating from pieces of its body.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Taking Awakening completely out of the picture we have absolutely no proof of what shape G14 was after taking that nuke. Slattern took a nuke in Pacific Rim. He was in terrible shape afterwards but he survived.
It was multiple nukes was it not? I know Castle Bravo was one, but I thought there were others as well. Either way, he obviously came out relatively unscathed. You can tell by the lack of any drastic scarring. Unless, of course, Legendary Godzilla just regenerated that well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well we don't know exactly how point blank they were. At least I always imagined Godzilla swimming around and the army attempting to drop bombs in his general vicinity hoping for a good hit. I mean I don't see him actively swimming at the surface the whole time. Maybe the last strike was a point blank hit and is what drove him back into hibernation till 2014. I could be completely wrong of course.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well......yeah, we know G54 and Showa survived an atomic bomb. Soooooo yes they are examples of Godzillas who have survived an atomic bomb.

Plus if I remember correctly, the Monster Planet Godzilla is said to survive two nukes.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Vatarian wrote:The point you guys are missing is that it's his internal temp that has to he 1200° celsius to melt. That does not mean a weapon that is 1200° will kill him. It means that a weapon capable of heating a large part of his body to that temperature for any length of time will kill him.

Godzilla is obviously greatly insulated; he walks out of lava not even steaming, and despite his ray and internal reactor, his body was too cold for the ANEB to breed.
But what if a nuclear bomb detonates right inside Godzilla's stomach? Wouldn't Godzilla die?!
Realistically, no. Nothing could survive a direct hit from a thermonuclear blast, externally OR internally.

However, Godzilla is a fictional character and he can do absolutely anything the writers want him to do, no matter how stupid. If I wanted for, say, Godzilla to have atomic laser eyes or telepathy or have faster than light combat speed and reactions or be able to blow up entire clusters of galaxies, then I'll do it because I'm the writer and nobody except Toho themselves have any legal right whatsoever to tell me what I can and can't do with Godzilla, period.
also like in Godzilla vs Biollante, there were some cases where they tried to increase Godzilla's body temperature.
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

My assumption is that the "melting at 1200 degrees" meant that Burning Godzilla would melt once his outermost layer of skin reached that temperature, not because his skin/body would melt at that temp, but because his actual inner body temperature was probably several million degrees.
Most Godzilla's can probably handle rising to hundreds of thousand/a couple millions of degrees, just not for days on end.
Although Heisei Goji (and virtually all Godzilla incarnations) could definitely survive a nuke, having his innards constantly be near or at nuke/breath temperature for about a week would probably be too much for most incarnations.
Last edited by Billzilla1974 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Ha. Legendary. Survived what, 1?
AnimeGoji, in Monster Apocalypse, survives 2,000 nukes being dropped on him in 2045, trapping him in a fissure that was once the Himalayas. He got out the very next year.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ummm... spoilers? Part of the backstory, not the events of the film, I hope?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Zarm wrote:Ummm... spoilers? Part of the backstory, not the events of the film, I hope?
Prequel novel. Don't worry, you're safe.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Much appreciated! :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!