Godzilla and Scale

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojira1963
Futurian

Godzilla and Scale

Postby Gojira1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

I just watched and reviewed Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II and while I may single out this movie the problem of changing scale for Godzilla and other monsters is a "problem" in all of the movies.

For instance when Godzilla meets up with Mechagodzilla his knees are as high as the top of a sports stadium. Then in the scene where he meets up with baby Godzilla, who isn't much bigger than a human, you can see Godzilla's knees in the shot...indicating a monster not as tall as earlier depicted in the movie.

In War of the Gragantuas the scale changes for those monsters almost from scene to scene. In one scene a woman fit in his hand like the size of a doll but in another scene he towers over the planes on the tarmac. By that scale the woman he held in his hand would have been a little taller than the plane itself.

Does the changing scale of Godzilla and other monsters, buildings etc bother you? It doesn't really bother me though there are times it is noticeable. This is nit picky fan stuff but isn't that why we are here?
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Godzilla and Scale

Postby eabaker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:49 am

Gojira1963 wrote:I just watched and reviewed Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II and while I may single out this movie the problem of changing scale for Godzilla and other monsters is a "problem" in all of the movies.

For instance when Godzilla meets up with Mechagodzilla his knees are as high as the top of a sports stadium. Then in the scene where he meets up with baby Godzilla, who isn't much bigger than a human, you can see Godzilla's knees in the shot...indicating a monster not as tall as earlier depicted in the movie.

In War of the Gragantuas the scale changes for those monsters almost from scene to scene. In one scene a woman fit in his hand like the size of a doll but in another scene he towers over the planes on the tarmac. By that scale the woman he held in his hand would have been a little taller than the plane itself.

Does the changing scale of Godzilla and other monsters, buildings etc bother you? It doesn't really bother me though there are times it is noticeable. This is nit picky fan stuff but isn't that why we are here?

It bothers me when it's especially noticeable/sloppy, such as the scene in Terror of Mechagodzilla where Titanosaurus appear to be taller than a moutnain, and that's with his legs somehow magically below the horizon.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Not a huge bother. It kind of is something I expect to see occur in the realm of golden-age monster movies. If it happened in a movie today, where budgets are inflated, I would find it much more sloppy. But back then, with what these films get away with by virtue if being fun and a bit over-the-top, I let it slide.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:04 pm

It only bothers me when Godzilla appears to look small and or short in size, and is not towering above medium-sized buildings. When he is towering over like say the Empire State Building/very tall buildings, is when I draw the line though. 50 to 100 meters is the perfect height for me.

#BotM

Return to “General Toho Films”