Do you consider Godzilla a "dead" franchise?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Is Godzilla a "dead" franchise?

No
95%
Yes
5%

Total votes: 73

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Do you consider Godzilla a "dead" franchise?

Post by antovald20 »

^I never heard anybody ever say anything good about tha 98 movie, or it being the greatest G-movie ever! If they know the franchise then they know that the 98 movie is such a dramatic turn from the original that they can't say it's the best, because it's not Godzilla.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Legion1979 wrote:
Gojisan866 wrote:Not at all. It's still got a huge fanbase, as seen by this VERY WEBSITE, and if Legendary does a good job with the reboot, it may turn some younger people (as in my age who aren't already fans) onto the series.
OR (and this is VERY likely) it will turn some younger people into fans of Legandary's version of the character and not necessarily of the Toho version.

I guarantee you that two years from now we're going to be swamped with new members who think even Toho's newer Godzilla films are silly, campy, ridiculous, phoney shit compared to the dark, realistic, CGI version. That's not going to help the franchise as a whole, and I think it's very likely to happen.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say a few pages back.

Also, let us not forget about the impending flock of the hipster "The original Japanese is far superior" group that will rise if the LP Godzilla film does great. (but, in reality they never even sat through either movie)
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:
Rody wrote:Hopefully, there will be at least a FEW people who end up giving the old films another try, and realize how good they actually are; thus becoming more serious fans.
Yeah really. I know things like to be black and white on the Internet but in the same way GINO introduced some people to the real Godzilla this one can too. And if LPG's actually a good movie it's a bigger win win. I don't see how it really matters as long as people get into Godzilla and genuinely like it. If some kids on a forum makes you not think that then well I don't know what to say.

I mean, when the new Planet of the Apes came out I watched all the previous movies and got into it. If I weren't a Godzilla fan to begin with I'd pick up the recent Criterion of the original or something. I imagine there are other people out there open to that. After seeing the new Star Trek I watched all the other Trek movies. Genre fans come together like that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me with Doctor Who. I found coverage of the new series inescapable, and it piqued my interest enough that now I'm an avid fan of the classic series.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

antovald20 wrote:^I never heard anybody ever say anything good about tha 98 movie, or it being the greatest G-movie ever! If they know the franchise then they know that the 98 movie is such a dramatic turn from the original that they can't say it's the best, because it's not Godzilla.
Sadly, I've seen one people that believes that... -_- Thankfully they don't seem to be here...probably because they would think that this place reeks of "Japanese Godzilla" fans...:/
To be blunt, the dude looks like he...well, he may be "special" and I know that sounds rude, but I get that vibe...
I'm a horrible person, I know. :-x
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I don't really understand why people would think this franchise is anywhere near alive. There's a very small, if dedicated community around them, but until we're in the middle of nearly a decade of lag with only a handful of mediocre events regarding Godzilla taking place between December 2004 and, excluding information on LPG, right now in October 2012.

I can't think of many famous franchises deader than that.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JVM wrote:I don't really understand why people would think this franchise is anywhere near alive. There's a very small, if dedicated community around them, but until we're in the middle of nearly a decade of lag with only a handful of mediocre events regarding Godzilla taking place between December 2004 and, excluding information on LPG, right now in October 2012.

I can't think of many famous franchises deader than that.
A franchise has to get no form of anything to be dead. Land Before time is dead, Lion King is not for example.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

miguelnuva wrote: A franchise has to get no form of anything to be dead. Land Before time is dead, Lion King is not for example.
I don't think there's a dictionary standard definition of 'dead franchise'. In my opinion, Godzilla is dead until G14 comes out. The only new thing that's taken place since GFW is GU, and it's hated by 97% of the Godzilla fandom.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JVM wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: A franchise has to get no form of anything to be dead. Land Before time is dead, Lion King is not for example.
I don't think there's a dictionary standard definition of 'dead franchise'. In my opinion, Godzilla is dead until G14 comes out. The only new thing that's taken place since GFW is GU, and it's hated by 97% of the Godzilla fandom.
I know there no standard definition but the comics make a lot of money, there making toys and a new movie and possible game are around the corner.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

So what, the comics don't count because they don't fit your argument of the franchise being dead or something?
Actually I just forgot about them, mostly because the initial reaction was so extraordinarily negative and since then it's just been quiet on that front.
Higherland, The Toxic Avenger, Blue Brothers, and Gremlins comes in mind.
Highlander's had a few (to my knowledge, crappy) recent movies. The others, fair points.
I know there no standard definition but the comics make a lot of money, there making toys and a new movie and possible game are around the corner.
As I said, I forgot the comics. The new movie and games I addressed - those are all forthcoming projects and don't count until release. The toys are all collectors' market-tailored.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

To me, the size of the fandom is important as well. I don't consider "Jurassic Park" a dead franchise despite it not having any real output in years. Some franchises aren't meant for 10+ films. But it's still very popular. Ghostbusters (up until the newly announced GBIV) was done, but I wouldn't call dead either. You don't have to beat every single solid franchise to death.

Jaws? I'd actually kind of consider that pretty dead now. I think between crappy sequels and so many gimmicky knock-offs, people had enough of large shark movies.

I kind of wish the zombie films as a whole franchise would die. Aside from "Zombieland" and "Walking Dead", everything became the same frickin movie over and over.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Yeah, poor Spawn is dead right now. It's sad though. A single movie can change it completely.

The comics were so incredible that a film that stays true to the source material would kill it today. I have no doubts. As long as it's made with care and stays true, it would be a huge success.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I would go as far as to say ''Jurassic Park'' a bit more of a dead franchise then ''Godzilla'' as it's fan-base has severely dwindled as has it's box office intake an it's failed to reach production since 2004.

Jaws was mean't for 1 film, The fact that they got away with 1 very successful sequel for Jaws was like Saw getting away with 7 or 8. A Remake will happen when Spielberg passes no doubt.

Spawn is pretty much dead, but i think a really good adaptation of the film would revive it a bit, another bad one would end it permanently.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Well for me a "dead franchise" is when no one gives a damn
about the movie its merchandise or any of its characters.
Well then again it isn't dead because someone out there
even if it means one person likes it then I guess it becomes a cult classic :lol: .

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I would go as far as to say ''Jurassic Park'' a bit more of a dead franchise then ''Godzilla'' as it's fan-base has severely dwindled as has it's box office intake an it's failed to reach production since 2004.

Jaws was mean't for 1 film, The fact that they got away with 1 very successful sequel for Jaws was like Saw getting away with 7 or 8. A Remake will happen when Spielberg passes no doubt.

Spawn is pretty much dead, but i think a really good adaptation of the film would revive it a bit, another bad one would end it permanently.
Didn't Jurassic Park III do very well at the box office? I thought it did though I may be mistaken...

Agreed with your other points. Hell, for lack of a decent comeback I agree even with your Jurassic Park point.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

@GodzillaSpawn

Jurassic park 3 did do well at the box office, but it had the highest budget of the 3 films an the lowest intake. JP1 made 900$+ million, TLW made 650$+ million, JP3 made 300$+ million. Nearly a 300 million drop every film is a horrible indication of how a franchise is going. An with all the failed scripts, scrapped idea's, the passing of M.C. an Stan Winston, producers stating the franchise was finished in 2008 an the decade long wait the fan base is questionable at best.

Universal probably won't even green-light it until the Re-release of the Original next year, which shows how much faith they have. I'm not suggesting it's dead but i believe LP Godzilla will be way more anticipated an welcome then another JP at this point.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Sounds legit to me!

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Arguably Spawn relaunched its comic series around #200 and arguably it gave it some momentum that it had been lacking for years, I know that Spawn has been a crappy comic with crappy sales for some time now, but to consider a comic character dead when it's comic has been published non-stop for years is misleading at best. I suppose that we're focusing in movies exclusively or mostly to define what a franchise is, from a movie point of view, a comicbook like Flash can be a dead franchise, despite having a solid comic run.

I think there are points worth clarifying before pronouncing any franchise dead. Godzilla has more recent films than many other famous and cult movie franchises too...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Not anymore lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Holy necro batman
He Jock it Made of Steel