The best parts of the worst movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojira1963
Futurian

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Gojira1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am

eabaker wrote:Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.

Your examples are the best that come to my mind. Although the fight between Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Megalon and Gigan is cheesy fun those other scenes are pretty cool.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

natevirus
Interpol Agent
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Postby natevirus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:In FW, I really like the kamikaze attack Mothra pulls on Gigan while she's engulfed in flames.

Somehow, made me think of Mothra having a "Phoenix" form or something...she does seem to be reborn through her offspring whenever she dies.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Almost all of the initial destruction scenes in GFW were fantastic - better than the actual fights for sure.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm

From ROM2, the underwater battle.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Return to “General Toho Films”