eabaker wrote:Rodan's emergence and initial attack in KotM '19 is such a stunning sequence, it's almost hard to believe it's the work of the same production team as the rest of the movie.
By far the best part of the film. I don't even regard KOTM as one of the worst movies, but this scene was a cut above the rest for sure.
A few that come to mind for me:
- Godzilla Raids Again: The scene where Godzilla and Anguirus first appear is one I really liked as a kid and it still stands out to me the most of the whole movie. Our heroes hear the roars and run into the canyon to investigate and BAM, there they are! Two fighting monsters! It's a very different approach than the slow build-up in Gojira and I think it works.
- Godzilla vs. Megalon: Already mentioned in the original post, but the dam scene is excellent. Also, the final fight is pretty excellent, arguably among the best choreographed in the whole series if you're willing to look past its campiness.
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (oh yeah, that's right, I'm calling it one of the worst in the series
): Mechagodzilla's reveal is skreeonking fantastic. The cinematography and accompanying music is perfect and this remains one of the best scenes of the whole franchise. If only the rest of the film had been half this good, it would actually deserve its reputation as one of the series' greatest...
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: The Godzilla and Shindo scene is epic.
- Godzilla vs. Mothra: The part where Battra bashes Godzilla with a Ferris wheel will forever be among my favorite kaiju battle moments.
- Planet of the Monsters: As mentioned above, Godzilla Earth's reveal makes for an awesome cliffhanger... that was totally wasted by the shitpile of a sequel.
- The Planet Eater: Haruo's suicide by Godzilla made for an unexpectedly somber ending. Along with the aforementioned Godzilla Earth emergence, one of the best parts of this garbage trilogy.