The best parts of the worst movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojira1963
Futurian

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Gojira1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am

eabaker wrote:Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.

Your examples are the best that come to my mind. Although the fight between Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Megalon and Gigan is cheesy fun those other scenes are pretty cool.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

natevirus
Interpol Agent
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Postby natevirus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:In FW, I really like the kamikaze attack Mothra pulls on Gigan while she's engulfed in flames.

Somehow, made me think of Mothra having a "Phoenix" form or something...she does seem to be reborn through her offspring whenever she dies.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Almost all of the initial destruction scenes in GFW were fantastic - better than the actual fights for sure.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm

From ROM2, the underwater battle.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Here's another thread that deserves to be resurrected. There are definitely some new movies on a lot of peoples' 'worst' lists, and some old 'worst' movies that received little or no mention so far.

From GINO, the "What did you see, old man?" scene was phenomenal. It's just a damn shame it had to happen in this movie. It'd be a beloved classic moment if it had shown up anywhere else.

VoyagerGoji
G-Grasper

Postby VoyagerGoji » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Godzilla's emergence from Planet of the Monsters. That scene was epic.
Humanity may be violent, but they’re learning. They made me the abomination that I am today but I forgive them and they’ve come to accept me, and now it’s my moral obligation to defend this planet, and everything that resides here including humanity. Now, leave this planet, or I’ll force you.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 am

Rodan's emergence and initial attack in KotM '19 is such a stunning sequence, it's almost hard to believe it's the work of the same production team as the rest of the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
JXSDF Technician

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:59 am

eabaker wrote:Rodan's emergence and initial attack in KotM '19 is such a stunning sequence, it's almost hard to believe it's the work of the same production team as the rest of the movie.

By far the best part of the film. I don't even regard KOTM as one of the worst movies, but this scene was a cut above the rest for sure.

A few that come to mind for me:
- Godzilla Raids Again: The scene where Godzilla and Anguirus first appear is one I really liked as a kid and it still stands out to me the most of the whole movie. Our heroes hear the roars and run into the canyon to investigate and BAM, there they are! Two fighting monsters! It's a very different approach than the slow build-up in Gojira and I think it works.
- Godzilla vs. Megalon: Already mentioned in the original post, but the dam scene is excellent. Also, the final fight is pretty excellent, arguably among the best choreographed in the whole series if you're willing to look past its campiness.
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (oh yeah, that's right, I'm calling it one of the worst in the series): Mechagodzilla's reveal is skreeonking fantastic. The cinematography and accompanying music is perfect and this remains one of the best scenes of the whole franchise. If only the rest of the film had been half this good, it would actually deserve its reputation as one of the series' greatest...
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: The Godzilla and Shindo scene is epic.
- Godzilla vs. Mothra: The part where Battra bashes Godzilla with a Ferris wheel will forever be among my favorite kaiju battle moments.
- Planet of the Monsters: As mentioned above, Godzilla Earth's reveal makes for an awesome cliffhanger... that was totally wasted by the shitpile of a sequel.
- The Planet Eater: Haruo's suicide by Godzilla made for an unexpectedly somber ending. Along with the aforementioned Godzilla Earth emergence, one of the best parts of this garbage trilogy.
The sea has cobalt, it's full of mercury. Too many fumes in our oxygen!
All the smog now is choking you and me. Good Lord, where is it gonna end?
Got to get it back, someday. Got to get it back, and soon now.
For tomorrow maybe you and me...
We're movin', we're movin', movin' to the Moon now!
It's up to us to make a choice.
We know what it's worth to save the Earth!

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am

Godzilla vs. Rodan, Anguirus, and King Caesar at Mt. Fuji is the only part of GFW I unironically enjoy, although I'd like it more if they didn't briefly play soccer.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:53 am

VoyagerGoji wrote:Godzilla's emergence from Planet of the Monsters. That scene was epic.

Ditto!

And i will admit, Ghidorah's first arrival in Planet Eater is pretty cool too.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

VoyagerGoji
G-Grasper

Postby VoyagerGoji » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am

I actually kinda like Godzilla beating the poop out of Gabara.

Tokyo SOS, like it’s predecessor, has really good effects for a Godzilla movie.

GFW’s Godzilla vs Kumonga was a favourite of mine.
Humanity may be violent, but they’re learning. They made me the abomination that I am today but I forgive them and they’ve come to accept me, and now it’s my moral obligation to defend this planet, and everything that resides here including humanity. Now, leave this planet, or I’ll force you.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
Samurai

Postby Gomi: Ninja Monster » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Gigantis wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Godzilla's emergence from Planet of the Monsters. That scene was epic.

Ditto!

I'll raise you every second of Ghidorah screentime until after he clamps onto Godzilla. The buildup to- and display of- his powers was sweet, especially the beam deflect/ignore, that caught me totally by surprise.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:15 am

Hideyo Amamoto's performance in GMK. Though in my opinion, his true swansong is in episode 57 of Ultraman Cosmos.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Gigantis wrote:

Ditto!

I'll raise you every second of Ghidorah screentime until after he clamps onto Godzilla. The buildup to- and display of- his powers was sweet, especially the beam deflect/ignore, that caught me totally by surprise.

Agreed. I'll put Mothra's appearance in here as well since even though she didn't appear physically, I still think it was a good idea executed as best as they could.

Actually, I don't really consider Planet Eater a bad film so I dunno why I'm even here.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
Samurai

Postby Gomi: Ninja Monster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Ditto!

Agreed. I'll put Mothra's appearance in here as well since even though she didn't appear physically, I still think it was a good idea executed as best as they could.

Actually, I don't really consider Planet Eater a bad film so I dunno why I'm even here.
Of the three it's definitely my favorite, but only on account of the human plot, Planet of the Monsters has the better monster action(on account of it actually being action).

Anguirus
G-Grasper

Postby Anguirus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:07 pm

I quite enjoy the fight sequences in Spacegodzilla. Alot, actually. Too bad the film does not live up to its potential.

Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent

Postby Jetty_Jags » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:46 pm

I firmly believe the concept of the alien coup in final wars is kinda brilliant, it’s just a shame the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

On paper Emma could have been one of the best human villains in the series, but again massively disappointing execution.

I actually quite enjoy the first half hour of g98. It seems to be at the very least a faithful imitation of classic sci fi monster movie openings (Id actually go as far to say it understands what they need to accomplish to work). But we all know where this one leads.

Edit: I don’t think I really need to say much about what I enjoy in GvM
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

VoyagerGoji
G-Grasper

Postby VoyagerGoji » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

I like the scene in GRA where Godzilla gets trapped in the iceberg.

DirektorSplennic
G-Grasper

Postby DirektorSplennic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Not really a fan of Terror of Mechagodzilla, but Godzilla's entrance is one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:15 pm

I think 98 did a much better job of building up to Godzilla's reveal than G14 did.

Besides the Rodan sequence I also actually really like the underwater confrontation early on. It's a fairly neat sequence and has never really been done before in the genre.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Return to “General Toho Films”