The best parts of the worst movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

The best parts of the worst movies

Postby eabaker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

eabaker wrote:Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.


I effing love the part in Final Wars where Godzilla is standing (like a OG, mind you) in ground zero in the remains of Tokyo. I think it was when he shot at the meteorite, but, that epic shot alone is one of the coolest images in the entire series.

But I really can't think of one for Godzilla's Revenge. I suppose if you like Gabara than he can be worth the watch, but his roar irritated me as a kid and I haven't really watched it since.
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
junkerde
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:19 am

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby junkerde » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I liked the scene when Rodan and Godzilla fight, in Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II
Image

User avatar
Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 848
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:29 am

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Cosbydaf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I love the scene in Godzilla vs Gigan where you see Ghidorah and Gigan flying together. It was a really cool way to introduce the new monster.

User avatar
Dust_pan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3092
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Dust_pan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Godzilla vs Gigan: The gun/corn scene.
Godzilla vs Megalon: The scene where Gigan and Megalon kick Jet Jaguar's ass and bro fist afterwards.
Godzilla 1985: Godzilla totally destroying the Super X by pushing a huge sky scraper onto it.
Godzilla vs Mothra: I personally loved watching the scene where Mothra and Battra carry Godzilla off to sea. Battra's sacrifice kinda got to me too, when I was little.
Godzilla Final Wars: Probably Godzilla vs Zilla. And Mothra's kamikaze. Though post-apocalyptic Tokyo was cool to see.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

User avatar
space godzilla
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 am
Location: Fort Frolic

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby space godzilla » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Godzilla's tail slide in Godzilla vs Megalon.
"Now the gate has been unlatched, headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room, a fate you must abide!" - Flood Gravemind, Halo 3.
Image

User avatar
Handsome Jack
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: Deep in the heart of the Borderlands

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Handsome Jack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Um Duh... the end.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

User avatar
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Tamura » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm

eabaker wrote:The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.


While the film was shot in only three weeks, the total production time was about six months.
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby eabaker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Tamura wrote:
eabaker wrote:The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.


While the film was shot in only three weeks, the total production time was about six months.


A.) That's pre-production time
B.) Six months is still damned short
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5509
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 pm

For G vs Megalon, I have to say it was JJ's theme song.

In G vs SG, it was the visual of the crystal fortress in the city.

For GFW, it's hard to find one, but I did enjoy the Mt. Fuji battle.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:30 am

daftfalloutgoji wrote:Um Duh... the end.



hahaha well-played.

User avatar
Kiryu2012
Kwaidan
Posts: 6062
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm
Location: Here, there, anywhere!
Contact:

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 am

Godzilla flying in Godzilla vs Hedorah.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.


My DA

User avatar
natevirus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...
Contact:

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby natevirus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm

To sum it up for me, for any Kaiju film that I think is bad, I'd say most often the best part is the overall battles between the kaiju (if there are any fights) that and just the rampage sequences. But I'm just generalizing this for length's sake.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6849
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

I've only seen three of the 'bad' ones recently:

Godzilla's Revenge: Gabara. Not my favorite kaiju by any means, but he fits this role and movie well.

Godzilla Raids Again: Most of the actual monster sequences were entertaining.

Godzilla vs Mothra: The volcano scene; Battra clocking Godzilla with the ferris wheel.

User avatar
Roblicki
Ronin
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: New York

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Roblicki » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Godzilla back to back tail balance drop kick in Godzilla vs Megalon!!!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11144
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 pm

I think some of these responses are not in the spirit of the initial post...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5144
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Rody » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 am

FINAL WARS has a few (albeit brief) scenes which are pretty impressive. Two that immediately come to mind are #1: Rodan standing atop a skyscraper, cackling into the NY night sky; and #2: Gigan's violent awakening.

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8543
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm

The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.


Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Showa Gyaos wrote:The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.

Eh, I wouldn't call it one of the worst now that I've finally strayed away from that Frontier dub, but to each his own. The diologue in the scene where the crew of Monsterland discover Ghidrah in the Titan dub was arguably improved from both the International and Japanese versions.

Back to business, the Nebulans' motive rant in Gigan was actually kind of powerful and foreboding, and the destruction of the tower at the end was undoubtedly an awesome moment, especially with the backup of Ifukube's magnificent Storm piece.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8543
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.

Eh, I wouldn't call it one of the worst now that I've finally strayed away from that Frontier dub, but to each his own. The diologue in the scene where the crew of Monsterland discover Ghidrah in the Titan dub was arguably improved from both the International and Japanese versions.

Back to business, the Nebulans' motive rant in Gigan was actually kind of powerful and foreboding, and the destruction of the tower at the end was undoubtedly an awesome moment, especially with the backup of Ifukube's magnificent Storm piece.

I've watched both the Japanese and English dubs. It's just too slow for me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.


Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests