Timelines/ Universes of Godzilla (Revised Revised Version)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: The Many Alternate Timelines/ Universes of Godzilla

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Raymond Burr says "thirty years ago, no corpse was found." Obviously he had disintegrated in 1954, but why add that?
Also, Burr and the Professor both claim somewhere in the film that Godzilla cannot be killed. Idk. :roll:
I think they were more or less talking about either the idea of Godzilla can't die (or the damage he did can't die), or that nothing of modern man could kill Godzilla. That it would take something beyond our current comprehension (the Oxygen Destroyer) to kill Godzilla.

As for the finding no corpse, Burr was probably unaware of the fact that the Oxygen Destroyer disintegrates everything. I mean, he wasn't at the lab to see the first test run of the Oxygen Destroyer and see what it did to those fish, and he wasn't at the bottom of the ocean to see Godzilla's corpse disintegrate. So really, he had no way of knowing that.

But, just to have some fun, according to the Hesei series, Godzilla didn't die in the original anyway, right? When they went back in time, Godzilla never attacked and killed in 1954 but instead came back meaner and more powerful against King Ghidirah.[/quote]

I'd suggest you look at this topic here. kpa posted an article explaining the timeline in the Heisei series:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 79&start=0
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:As for the finding no corpse, Burr was probably unaware of the fact that the Oxygen Destroyer disintegrates everything. I mean, he wasn't at the lab to see the first test run of the Oxygen Destroyer and see what it did to those fish, and he wasn't at the bottom of the ocean to see Godzilla's corpse disintegrate. So really, he had no way of knowing that.
Actually, Emiko explained Steve how the Oxygen Destroyer worked and what it did. As far as Godzilla, King of the Monsters! is concerned, Steve know Godzilla was reduced to nothing. Godzilla 1985 is a different story, the line "they've never found any corpse" is meant to disregard what happened in the film and establish Godzilla as the same monster from 30 years ago.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

NSZ wrote:
Ethan wrote:Godzilla 1985 is a different story, the line "they've never found any corpse" is meant to disregard what happened in the film and establish Godzilla as the same monster from 30 years ago.
...That's it, I'm quoting KPA now before this goes any further.
kpa wrote:Ethan's interpretation is interesting but NSZ's point blows it out of the water. GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS had a successful US theatrical run and then became a TV staple starting in the late 1950s. From personal experience I can tell you it was on television a lot in the 1970s and early 1980s. It was also on VHS and laserdisc, and covered in filmbooks and plot descriptions published in monster magazines like Famous Monsters. So the movie was hardly obscure in 1985, and Burr's line in G85 is just a quick way to skirt around the issue without really addressing, that's all.
^From the thread in which you were trying to make the SAME argument.

Battleship sunk.
I really don't know what you're quote is accomplishing there?

Anyway,I read this article :http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007 ... -godzilla/

So, in Return of Godzilla, there was no direct confirmation that Godzilla in that film was the original monster or not. And the article even says that the American version directly linked this Godzilla as the monster in 1954, having survived the Oxygen Destroyer. If you look at the film standing by itself that's what you are left with.

But then Godzilla vs. KG ruins everything. So much sloppy writing and many characters leading you to believe something but are flat out wrong. Ugh. I'm not even convinced the creators had all this thought out when making GvKG. But, Sci-Fi Japan was just able to make a solid theory based on it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Yes, let's be deadly serious about a completely fictitious universe full of fake looking man-in-rubber-suit dinosaur/monster/robot/alien films and insult the poor guy who decides to add a little twist to it. That makes much more sense.

What's the point of that anyway?
Nobody is being "deadly serious" about anything. In fact, all I'm saying is that there is no point to it all. If you have fun with stuff like this, then all the power to you man. I simply don't see the point in making shit up 'just because'.

Before GODZILLA VS. KING GHIODORAH was made, one could argue that the Godzilla that emerged in '84 was the original, reborn, but VS. KING GHIDORAH confirms that the original Godzilla did die.

I suppose you could say in the "alternate" universe of GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTER!/GODZILLA 1985, it is the same Godzilla, since that is implied in GODZILLA 1985, but meh..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Goji wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:Yes, let's be deadly serious about a completely fictitious universe full of fake looking man-in-rubber-suit dinosaur/monster/robot/alien films and insult the poor guy who decides to add a little twist to it. That makes much more sense.

What's the point of that anyway?
Nobody is being "deadly serious" about anything. In fact, all I'm saying is that there is no point to it all. If you have fun with stuff like this, then all the power to you man. I simply don't see the point in making shit up 'just because'.

Before GODZILLA VS. KING GHIODORAH was made, one could argue that the Godzilla that emerged in '84 was the original, reborn, but VS. KING GHIDORAH confirms that the original Godzilla did die.

I suppose you could say in the "alternate" universe of GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTER!/GODZILLA 1985, it is the same Godzilla, since that is implied in GODZILLA 1985, but meh..
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. When G'84 came out, I have a feeling that they were setting it up that it was the same monster. In fact, much of the dialogue in Return of Godzilla suggests, even in the Japanese version, that Godzilla cannot be killed by this or that (the film is even called The Return of Godzilla). The prof guy knows immediately that being trapped in a volcano won't kill him. Had everybody been convinced that the original Godzilla been killed, then I don't think that everybody would be so gloom-and-doom on the topic. He's obviously mortal and was killed thirty years ago--it's not like he was showing up every year to destroy cities. Now, had he come back from being turned to atoms somehow, then yes, I'd understand all the pessimistic "no matter what, Godzilla will live" talk.

But then Godzilla vs King Ghidorah came about and changed the timeline and made it so that they were two different monsters (even though I'm not sure if the director intended to). And NSZ, I'm not molding an argument, you made your point and the article was very helpful. But I've always just known to go from what was in the films, and while the article mentions that had Godzilla truly be erased from history in GvKG, none of the characters would remember him, I just always chalked it up to more of the sloppy writing in that movie. As well as references to "Biollante" and the original in GvSG and GvD (whch you don't even get confirmation that those events still exist until three films later), respectively, again, more inconsistent writing and trying to steer clear from the whole time-traveling plot device. Clearly, for that article to have been necessary, the whole idea wasn't mapped out very well from the beginning by Toho in the films themselves.

As for the skeleton remains at the end of 1954, yes, anyone familiar with the film knows Godzilla dissolved at the end. But, like you said, GKOTM was well-known and on television alot, so by your logic enough people would have seen it leading up to Godzilla 1985 and yet they still added those lines. I don't believe they would edit Steve Martin back into all these scenes just for him to be flat-out wrong in his implications (aside from the fact that the following films change the history so he IS wrong). Again, I personally feel that the American version links the two films as the same monster on purpose (which is moot considering how the timeline changed). And it's not like they couldn't cop their way out of what was shown on screen seeing as how they use the fully intact skeleton of the 1954 monster to build Kiyru and everybody seems fine with it.
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Yeah, I actually just saw the japanese version for the first time ever last week. I grew up with Godzilla 1985, which seems to have had its own idea of the Godzilla history.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Goji wrote:I suppose you could say in the "alternate" universe of GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTER!/GODZILLA 1985, it is the same Godzilla, since that is implied in GODZILLA 1985, but meh..
Well, the US versions are known to take liberties with the plot, like King Kong vs. Godzilla where every prior Showa film is ommited.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

At least the new generation of Start Trek contributers realized they can no longer squeeze blood from a turnip and started fresh. Sadly they had to create and make-apparent that this new film franchise is a separate timeline that exists in the same universe, mainly to keep trekkers happy. Really, it's not like when a franchise reboots it's self, the existing entries expire and are rendered void. Toho knew this, or should I say, didn't give a fuck when dealing with Godzilla's continuity. When the time suits the director's/writer's needs, they used it. If not, they simply started over.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I updated the first post a bit.

I feel this unifies the Godzilla series a bit more to me.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The section on FINAL WARS makes NO sense.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Goji wrote:The section on FINAL WARS makes NO sense.
Since when did any of the Showa films fall into the same universe as FINAL WARS?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Godzilla blasts Ghidorah's egg and it hatches prematurely into Monster X.
Why do I find this quote really hilarious?

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Legion1979 wrote:Why does it NEED to be unified??
Why shouldn't it, think outside the box.
MaxRebo320 wrote:
Goji wrote:The section on FINAL WARS makes NO sense.
Since when did any of the Showa films fall into the same universe as FINAL WARS?
Makes sense to me, Gojira - Godzilla vs Mothra happened, then that event in Antarctica split the Showa era into an alternate timeline where Godzilla was out of Humanity's hair for several decades in a universe parallel to the main one.
Megalon-5 wrote:
Godzilla blasts Ghidorah's egg and it hatches prematurely into Monster X.
Why do I find this quote really hilarious?
I always thought that had Ghidorah's meteor in GTTHM been disrupted and hatched shortly after it crashed in the mountains, we would've had Monster X on our hands.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Where do Tarintino's films fall into the timeline?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

How do the Marvel, IDW and Dark Horse comics fit?

Also, when does Godzilla Island and the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla film take place?

What about Godman and Greenman?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote:How does the Marvel, IDW and Dark Horse comics fit?

Also, when does Godzilla Island and the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla film take place?

What about Godman and Greenman?
Or Kurosawa's films! Those are Toho too! Shouldn't Milo and Otis be canon as well?

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Since Toho made Super Atragon, is that canon too?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

All of Toho's J-Horror films have got to be canon as well. Several of Miyazaki's films are by Toho also. They must be canon, but what about the films of his that Toho DIDN'T distribute? Alternate universe?

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Then there's Toho's animated features. Pokemon is canon too.

Since Toho distributed the Ultraman compilation movies, does this mean the Ultra series is canon?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote: Since Toho distributed the Ultraman compilation movies, does this mean the Ultra series is canon?
Ultraman crossed over with Kamen Rider, so Kamen Rider is also canon. And Kamen Rider has crossed over with Super Sentai on several occasions, so that's canon too. And with Sentai, you have to include Power Rangers as an alternate universe.