If Marvel had the film rights to Godzilla...................

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

If Marvel had the film rights to Godzilla...................

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I've come to know Marvel had the comic book rights for Godzilla back in the 70s and 80s?
What if in some fucked up alternate reality, Marvel still had those rights and over time even acquired the US movie rights from Toho?!

What would you think of this happened?
What if Marvel Studios instead of Legendary Pictures acquired the rights after Sony lost them and started making Godzilla films.
What if Godzilla was added into the Marvel Cinematic Universe Marvel has been creating with Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers.....
It isn't too far fetched, since Godzilla did exist in Earth 616 (the mainstream timeline of Marvel Comics) in the comics and has encountered and fought members of the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D.

There's many possible pros and cons to this though.

I personally feel the film universe will become to clustered. It works in the comics, but not on film.
If they go in a realistic approach to the films, the events of big G's films will cause to much of an impact to the world in that universe. I also feel fans of Marvel and Godzilla alike will complain about not wanting their characters mingling together.

Well, unless Marvel had kept making Godzilla comics though the 90s and into the 2000s in this alternate reality, then this'll probably be more acceptable.

In our reality? No

Some pros are that monsters like King Ghidorah, Gigan, Jet Jaguar, and many other rather outlandish ones won't be too outlandish in the universe Marvel has already set up already where robotic space dragons have came out of a portal in the sky, beings live on a place called Asgard, aliens exist, some even speaking English, exposure to radioactivity can have remarkable effects, and men can change size (once Ant Man is released). There's many possibilities.

If a crossover film happens, it'll be awesome. This can also give us a far different take of Godzilla than what we've had for more than 50 years. Toho can make purely Godzilla films themselves once Marvel is finished with theirs.

Just asking what you think.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Re: If Marvel had the film rights to Godzilla...............

Post by Mincecraft »

Yeah, I have a comic from...the 1970's I think. He goes up against the F.F.

But I don't think so. It was alright for the comics. They arn't even that well known, so that tells ya how great that worked out.

Lets leave it to Legendary.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

A Marvel/Godzilla crossover as a comic series......okay but as a movie series *sucks finger* ermm wellfor now let's leave a Godzilla film series to Legendary
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Interesting. Though, sadly to say, I think Godzilla would be way out-matched as powerful as some of Marvel's characters are. I mean the Hulk alone would probably toss Godzilla around. He's strong, quicker, more maneuverable, and faster. Unless CGI Godzilla moves quick enough to defend himself against Hulk, the man in the rubber suit should just be fighting other men in rubber suits.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

One of the great touches in the Marvel Godzilla comics was that he was portrayed as a powerful force when matched against Marvel's own superheroes. The final story arc had the Fantastic Four and the Avengers (including Thor, Iron Man and the Vision) team-up to battle Godzilla and the combined teams couldn't stop him (or even significantly injure him). And the first issue had a one panel joke comic in which the Hulk is laid out when Godzilla stepped on him. The Champions (which had Hercules as a member) and SHIELD didn't fare any better.

JoBattra
GPN Volunteer

Post by JoBattra »

Godzilla vs. Fin Fang Foom...
scarecrow wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:
Reaper Man wrote:Shipping in general is never a good idea.
Yet I'm compelled to post here.

Megalon and Moguera.

*Drilling noises*

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

I loved the Marvel Godzilla comics. They had the perfect mix of a Showa and superhero feel. I could see Marvel including him into the cinematic universe with his own film. Then maybe have him be the main threat in Avengers 2. That would be one heck of a cool battle scene. And wouldn't it be fun to see marvelized versions of Serizawa and Miki Saegusa? Oh well, I doubt they'll ever get the rights again but who knows.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

If Marvel makes him stronger...strong enough to be a force that groups like the Fantastic Four, Avengers, and X-Men have to struggle just to contain cool. But since the days Godzilla was a part of Marvel, the comic book characters have gotten very, very powerful.

Mitchal
Interpol Agent

Post by Mitchal »

Planet Hulk would have been Planet Godzilla.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I'd say Marvel would god-mode Godzilla beyond belief, and still make him a complete badass and beat just about anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel made a film and Godzilla beat Galactus. Overall I think Marvel would have done a better job at displaying Godzilla's true power than Toho.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Godzilla is Toho's creation, so how strong they have portrayed him over the years IS is true power. Marvel would just borrow his name and image and enhance him like Toho did to King Kong. That wasn't the REAL Kong that fought Godzilla just like it wouldn't be the proper Godzilla if he is made to combat the Marvel Universe. How could he possibly beat Galactus? Galactus could flick him, swallow him whole, step on him, etc. Radioactivity won't stop him. Godzilla just doesn't belong and if they have to "water down" or hold-back their heroes to make Godzilla stronger the only ones who will enjoy it and not notice this are the disillusioned Godzilla fans. Marvel fans will most likely hate it and Marvel is aware of that. Hulk, Galactus, Phoenix, Professor X, Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, Thanos would beat Godzilla or "mind control" him so many times over that it won't eve be fun. I mean sure, they can make it a little fun with guys like Iron Man (with missiles and bullets failing, would have to create new weapons), Wolverine (he's always climbing and ripping things up bigger than him), or Deadpool (who is continously put through the meat-grinder just because he can't die), but Godzilla is simply too slow and limited to fight with these guys.

It's a mockery to even consider Godzilla to be powerful enough. He'd be a giant punching bag..

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

It could be an adaption of when they crossovered back in the 70's. Godzilla was pretty much destroying the Avengers, would be fun to watch.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I just don't get it. I love Godzilla, but the Hulk alone would beat him. He's too strong and quick.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

If Godzilla did indeed continue, expect him to have lifted continents with his pinkie and sneezed away galaxies.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Reaper Man
Monsterland Worker

Post by Reaper Man »

Gyaos wrote:If Godzilla did indeed continue, expect him to have lifted continents with his pinkie and sneezed away galaxies.
Silver Age/Super Saiyan Godzilla?
Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:I just don't get it. I love Godzilla, but the Hulk alone would beat him. He's too strong and quick.
Bullshit! fifty points from... whatever house your in.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Shadow wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:I just don't get it. I love Godzilla, but the Hulk alone would beat him. He's too strong and quick.
Bullshit! fifty points from... whatever house your in.
Noooo way. Hulk held up a mountain in Secret Wars that easily dwarfed even Hesei Godzilla, smashed an asteroid twice the size of the earth with a single punch (A SINGLE PUNCH), survived a Nova Burst at point-blank range (just made him angrier), was able to eat Galactus and handle all his power easily (in Marvel zombies), reflected Gladiator's eyebeam back into his own eyes (hotter than the sun and Hulk just shrugged it off as it almost killed Gladiator himself), supports the weight of whole continents during platonic shift, shattered Onslaught's armor, lifted Thor's hammer despite not being the "one" worthy of its powers, etc.

What has Godzilla done to even flirt with this, really? I love Godzilla way more...but come on guys like Hulk and Superman would run circles around Godzilla's slow ass and have the power to launch him in any direction they like. Godzilla wouldn't be able to reach them with his tiny arms to even try to out-muscle them. Hulk would throw Godzilla 500 feet head first into a mountain and as soon as Godzilla even gathered himself Hulk would already be leaping on his face punching Godzilla's face in and probably rip his eyes out.

Let's be real here folks...

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

^ Your right of course, Marvel would have to balance out the characters. But I wouldn't mind that. Seeing these iconic characters clash would be so awesome to see on screen.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

You gotta know that the strengths of the characters in the films aren't the same as in the comics. For example, comic Thor is much stronger than movie Thor. Had comic Thor fought Iron Man in The Avengers, Tony and his armor would poverized. The movie versions of characters aren't overpowered like in the comics.

If any of our movie Avengers members went against Godzilla, they'll have a difficult time, depending on how strong that version of Godzilla is.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:You gotta know that the strengths of the characters in the films aren't the same as in the comics. For example, comic Thor is much stronger than movie Thor. Had comic Thor fought Iron Man in The Avengers, Tony and his armor would poverized. The movie versions of characters aren't overpowered like in the comics.

If any of our movie Avengers members went against Godzilla, they'll have a difficult time, depending on how strong that version of Godzilla is.
But the comics are the source material for these characters. Godzilla on the other hand is from film as a source material. If we are talking about them doing comics, then Hulk fans will notice a big dip in their favorite character's power level and they would feel like it cheapens it. Godzilla fans wouldn't mind because it makes their favorite character have a shot and look stronger ("he stomped on the Hulk!? Oh em gee Godzilla is so badazz!"). How do you appease the two these days without it making look cheap and become hated by the fandom like Squirrel Girl beating Deadpool, the Punisher beating Spider-Man, or Batman even having a chance at going toe-to-toe with Spawn (all of these happened, and to do this, the writing was very inconsistent and sloppy). Atleast when Cap beat Spider-Man he beat him by ricocheting his shield down a hallway (throwing off Spidey's SS) and then was able to knock him out, that is a good way for cap to beat him and it doesn't do injustice to webhead.

But for Godzilla to even stand a chance to face Hulk alone? You have to make Hulk weaker than, say, Colossus! Hulk could easily just punch a hole through Godzilla, jump inside of him and rip is bones apart from one another. You know ow Kong swung Godzilla by his tail, well Hulk would rip it clean off and beat Godzilla with it. It's just not fair lol.

And even movie Hulk....he knocked down that giant flying behemoth in one single punch and killed it.