Grab a snack and sit down near the fireplace, this is gonna be a long one. Couldn't find the stupid things people say topic so this is close enough.
This guy I've known since middle school thinks everything Hollywood is the best thing since sliced bread and everything else just sucks (unless it's anime or games). I just got out of an argument (someone else, unrelated) so my mind is a little scrambled but I'll try my best to remember some of the things he's said and done. What I can tell you is:
- He hates kaiju films for being "unrealistic" but loves Pacific Rim which is easily one of the most stylized kaiju films out there plus a love letter to the genera, the AOT anime, and Bayformers. This is the same guy who will post a video of an "alien integration", with the fakest looking effects since SyFy on his facebook asking people if they think it's real with his roommates facepalming in the comments telling him it's fake dued. I honestly wouldn't mind all that much except...
- He is always shiting on stuff I like. If it isn't something we both like or he likes, he can not shut the skreeonk up and just watch the movie, he has to criticize it on EVERYTHING. He mainly craps on how Japan's effects are always 10 years behind Hollywood and no amount of explaining how Hollywood has had a monopoly on films for too long will get through to him. You can tell him by the time studios like Toho catch up, Hollywood has moved on and he still won't listen.
-Refuses to admit when a foreign film has impressed him because...I dunno. Amazed the guy even likes anime at all since he thinks only the west makes good movies.
- He shits on the kaiju films for using suits. This is a guy who is a HUGE fan of two very famous rubber suit monsters, the Xenomorph and Predator.
- He bitches about how awful the dubbing the Attack on Titan movie is. I tell him to just watch it sub. He then bitches about how he doesn't want to read and the Japanese are horrible actors. So he's not giving the film a chance at all, since he doesn't like reading subs but he also hates the dub. Animes get a free pass.
- He asks me if I'm looking forward to Godzilla 2. When I tell him I've become disillusioned with the fanbase because of harassment and death threats he dismisses my feelings on the subject.
- I wasn't planning on bringing Godzilla up, but since he did I showed him a trailer for Monster Planet. He is interested but I think it's only because it's an anime.
- After he points out how messed up Godzilla is in the trailer I say "he's worse in his last film" and show him a trailer for Shin Godzilla. 30 seconds into the trailer "they need to buy newer cameras."
- Because I can't find a video that shows off the atomic breath he tells me I can show him later. Next time we hang out I brought my copy of Shin, not to show the whole movie, just parts. And he's like "nah you don't have to show me".
- Eventually I do show off parts of Shin. And he seriously skreeonking goes there. Out of the blue. He makes an Asians have a tiny penis joke. I try to defuse the moment by telling him "you do realize Shin's tail actually is a giant dick right?" his response? "Did you touch it?" I can not even, he has no filter, because I don't know how that running through his head seemed like a good idea at all. I told him dude, not cool, that's the kind of poop my bullies back in middle school would say. His defense? "I was joking dude." It came off as such a "it's just a prank bro" attitude, like you seriously can't say I'm sorry? Now Mr. Toots and I will make immature jokes about things we like but that is earned, we know we aren't serious. This guy, it feels like he actually believes the poop he is saying and just says "I'm just joking" to save face.
- His reasoning for doing the above? "You have it on Japanese so I can't understand what they are saying and I don't wanna read subs." I was showing him the dynamic military action, something he bitched 2014 lacked, you really don't need to know what the characters are saying.
- "Ah so they used the crappy 2000 Godzilla roar." He was talking about Godzilla 1998, hilarious in hindsight. He was confused when I told him that was the classic Godzilla roar. This is the same guy who used to say Godzilla 98 was better because it's more realistic, now he shits on it because 2014 is better. 2014 is pretty much just Toho Godzilla taking place in the U.S., outside of design tweaks he's the same character, the only thing changed is the location.
- "It was all right." He was trying to not admit he was impressed by the Tokyo Atomic Breath destruction scene, another thing he bitched 2014 was lacking, plus you know the U.S. military did more in Shin. "You're full of poop, stop acting like you weren't impressed." He starts laughing. I know cool or impressive is a subjective thing, but you don't need to be a fan of Godzilla to know the city destruction was well done, or be a military person to know surviving bunker busters and shooting down 3, multi-billion dollar stealth bombers is a big deal.
Side note, Sometimes I wonder if I even wanna be a film maker anymore, people have become spoiled by amazing effects every year, had that scene been done in Godzilla 98 it would have blown people away. Now days when I show it off, people seem unfazed. I think part of it might even be because it's largely a cast of Japanese actors they don't know and not someone they recognize like Will Smith or Bruce Willis there is a disconnect with western audiences who aren't fans.
- He thought Shin Godzilla was a zombie. Despite me pointing out multiple times those are scars and cancer from radiation.
- Later, he declares he likes the American Godzilla (talking about 2014) better because "his jaw is more realistic." Again, this is a guy who is a fan of Pacific Rim, which is way more stylized than most Godzilla films and is going more for a surreal nightmare than real. You can tell him Godzilla is supposed to be fantastical. he won't have any of it.
-Outside of the AOT anime, he only likes American kaiju. He knows Kaiju is Japanese for monster and a genera started over there. Sadly he has not gained respect for the films that started it all in Japan even when he knows without those films guys like Del Toro would have probably never made PR.
There's more but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. I have to wonder if we are even friends because it seems like we are just guys who happen to know each other and he shits on things I like unless he likes it too. He wants to show me stuff he is into all the time, but if I try showing off something I like that isn't American (or anime or video games) he doesn't even give it a chance and criticizes it to Hell.
Seems like the only thing we have in common is anime, Metroid, Resident Evil, Darkstalkers and our love for women. And even with the latter he sometimes just hates them, acting like women are the devil and his exs just broke up with him because they "were bitches". One of said exes is bi-polar. He is no where near mature enough to even be dealing with that can of worms, never considering that maybe they broke up with him because he has no filter and still acts like he is in high school. He still has the "I have to poop song" as his ringtone, a song I introduced to him years ago. He has had multiple phones since then. We're almost 30 now dude.
He treated a waitress that was serving us food like crap because he didn't know they charge more for beer after a certain hour and acting like it's her fault. This is a guy who works in the food industry, he should know better. Plus this was a strip club, waitress already get treated like crap in a normal restaurant by costumers, I can only imagine how much worse it is in titty bar. She probably has drunk costumers thinking it's okay to just grab her cause her ass is out on display. Mr. Toots and I were so embarrassed we apologized to her and I ended up paying for the beer just to get him to stop. Like come on dude, she just works there.
P.S. If they ever did do a shared cinematic universe with Godzilla, King Kong and Pacific Rim, he would throw the biggest poop fit over Godzilla and Kong "polluting" Pacific Rim.