"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4797
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Vatarian » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:38 am

g2vd wrote:
Vatarian wrote:Do keep in mind the fact that Moguera is, like, 14 if I'm remembering correctly.

And I'm 15.

Sol u tink teh old movies R only forr dhe old peple you ilm nob litist eanie.

I do understand, but I mean saying who wants to watch that old a movie seems a bit hypocritical and dumb considering we are fans of a 60 year old franchise.


No. But I do think a large number of younger people have a lesser appreciation (or outright dislike) for very old films.

And at the risk of rustling jimmies, I'd say "hypocritical and dumb" summarizes this fandom, myself included at times.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14179
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:51 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


Image

tbqh fam, most of the movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's are more enjoyable than half of the films released these days.
Image

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Pkmatrix » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:41 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


Me, for one. Personally, movies made in the '20s/'30s are some of my absolute favorites. Have you given them a try? You may like more than a few. :)

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:53 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


http://media.tumblr.com/863f03caab2f0e2 ... qz4rgp.png

tbqh fam, most of the movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's are more enjoyable than half of the films released these days.

Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
Starsteam
Keizer
Posts: 8973
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:36 pm
Location: Over there... no, not there.

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Starsteam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:55 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


http://media.tumblr.com/863f03caab2f0e2 ... qz4rgp.png

tbqh fam, most of the movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's are more enjoyable than half of the films released these days.

Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.


He said half of the films. Those are one film per year of hundreds of terrible movies.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I think every generation has a lot of bad films with some good ones, just that usually no one remembers the bad ones. There probably were tons of bad films back when movies were a new medium but after a while people became less forgiving and quality control became a thing. Then we have companies who will throw that out for quantity, as long as they milk the cash cow.
Image

User avatar
Showa Gojira
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Showa Gojira » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:20 pm

One of my mexican co-workers saw me reading a Godzilla book, and said that Godzilla has to be a girl because his name ends in "a", which means he has a feminine name in Spanish. I responded by saying that rule doesn't apply because he's a Japanese character and that he is known as "The King of the Monsters" but he persisted asking me to name somebody who's name ends with an "a" who's masculine. I told him Dracula is another exception to the rule and he conceded the point to me.
Like Giant Monsters? Like Video games? check out the game my brother and I are making!

Image

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5609

User avatar
PRIMEVAL
Futurian
Posts: 1678
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Shores of Cleveland
Contact:

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby PRIMEVAL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


http://media.tumblr.com/863f03caab2f0e2 ... qz4rgp.png

tbqh fam, most of the movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's are more enjoyable than half of the films released these days.

Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.


That last one doesn't make sense... are you arguing good movies or bad movies?

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Showa Gojira wrote:One of my mexican co-workers saw me reading a Godzilla book, and said that Godzilla has to be a girl because his name ends in "a", which means he has a feminine name in Spanish. I responded by saying that rule doesn't apply because he's a Japanese character and that he is known as "The King of the Monsters" but he persisted asking me to name somebody who's name ends with an "a" who's masculine. I told him Dracula is another exception to the rule and he conceded the point to me.


^The "my countries rules apply to the whole world and all cultures" thing is something I would expect from an American. :roll: :lol:
Image

User avatar
Beef Bigshot
Keizer
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: noitacoL

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Beef Bigshot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:34 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well tbh, who wants to see a movie from the 20-30s?


http://media.tumblr.com/863f03caab2f0e2 ... qz4rgp.png

tbqh fam, most of the movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's are more enjoyable than half of the films released these days.

Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.


The stupidest cool movie ever, a lackluster Godzilla movie with muh CGI, and, well, I like Jurassic World for its fun factor, but objectively speaking it has its flaws

You should give older movie a try. There is a certain charm they have that if you can find, makes them very fun
Resized Image

User avatar
GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 pm

For some reason, my dad is convinced the shots in the mine in Rodan were shot in Tokyo's subway tunnels. Why, I have no idea.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.


GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

User avatar
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby toho_guy01 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:33 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.

I would say Fantasia is better than all three. Granted, it was from 1940 but Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu came out in the 20's along with Snow White and Wizard of Oz in the 30's so, your argument isn't holding up.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:58 am

toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.

I would say Fantasia is better than all three. Granted, it was from 1940 but Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu came out in the 20's along with Snow White and Wizard of Oz in the 30's so, your argument isn't holding up.

It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby g2vd » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:03 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.

I would say Fantasia is better than all three. Granted, it was from 1940 but Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu came out in the 20's along with Snow White and Wizard of Oz in the 30's so, your argument isn't holding up.

It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.

What?..what.....just..just..what?
Godzilla

User avatar
LazerWhale
G-Grasper
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby LazerWhale » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:04 am

Don't know if I've mentioned it here before, but my close friend didn't know that Godzilla could swim.
In his defense, he'd never seen a Godzilla film before. The hilarious part was that he hadn't been actively watching the movie with me, so this came about maybe halfway through, and thus had come after numerous scenes of Godzilla in the water.
Lazer's Art Thread:http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

User avatar
GodzillavsZilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 am
Location: somewhere riding on Anguirus

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:27 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.

I would say Fantasia is better than all three. Granted, it was from 1940 but Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu came out in the 20's along with Snow White and Wizard of Oz in the 30's so, your argument isn't holding up.

It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.

Image

What?!
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.


Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

User avatar
gigan72
Keizer
Posts: 8359
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:26 pm
Location: Out

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby gigan72 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Yeah, Moggie, you're... you're losing us. Your arguments are really falling flat there.
KaijuFiend wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?

No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that poop again.

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:55 pm

LazerWhale wrote:Don't know if I've mentioned it here before, but my close friend didn't know that Godzilla could swim.
In his defense, he'd never seen a Godzilla film before. The hilarious part was that he hadn't been actively watching the movie with me, so this came about maybe halfway through, and thus had come after numerous scenes of Godzilla in the water.


Image

But he's a sea monster...
Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6905
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Pretty sure what M.o.g.u.e.r.a. means is that comparing (for example) Pacific Rim to The Wizard of Oz is a little bizarre. Aside from both being movies with prominent special effects and a doggie, what do they have in common?

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Bright colors. ;)
Image


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests