"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by BlankAccount »

Not really an assumption but I had no idea where this should go.

I've been asked "why do you like giant monsters?"

I didn't know how to answer at first but eventually say "You know how people like dinosaurs and dragon?"

They responded yes.

I asked "Do you ask them why they like it" and they said no, it's obvious because they're dinosaurs and dragons. I said it's the same thing here just with lasers.

I get that giant monsters are not everyone's thing, but damn, even if they don't appeal to someone I would think why they might appeal to someone else might be obvious in much the same way dinosaurs and dragons appeal is to kids. I've never heard someone ask another person why they like dinosaurs or dragons.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Where the hell do so many people get the idea Godzilla eats people from?

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Where the hell do so many people get the idea Godzilla eats people from?
It’s a basic monster movie trope.

SoggyNoodles2016

UltramanGoji wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Where the hell do so many people get the idea Godzilla eats people from?
It’s a basic monster movie trope.
Yeah, but it's one Godzilla has never shown, not in any of the classic movies, not in the American films, hell, even most parodies don't show it. It especially boggles me because I've mostly heard it from family who have watched enough Godzilla to be minor fans.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The baby GINOs ate several people, and the adult was trying to eat the taxi. I know the stereotype of a man-eating Godzilla is older than that, but GINO is still probably a contributing factor.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

... I'm the OP for this thread.

But I don't remember making this thread.

I don't remember writing that first post. I don't even remember experiencing the my own example of a weird assumption I heard from a non-fan.

Guys, what the fuck, I'm scared.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:... I'm the OP for this thread.

I don't remember writing that first post. I don't even remember experiencing the my own example of a weird assumption I heard from a non-fan.

Guys, what the skreeonk, I'm scared.
This is your brain on drugs, kids.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Every topic that reaches 40 inevitable produces this kind of effect.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:... I'm the OP for this thread.

Guys, what the fuck, I'm scared.
You temporarily switched places with a version of yourself from an alternate universe. Welcome back.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

One friend of mine thought Godzilla was a cartoon. Like, how...?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:One friend of mine thought Godzilla was a cartoon. Like, how...?
Probably grew up only exposed to either the Hannah Barbara Godzilla or the Godzilla Animated Series. Or, all the pop culture references in things like the Simpsons.

Things about the stuff in this thread is it's all about exposure.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

This thread is basically "wtf why don't people know as much about a japanese series as much as I do????"
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:One friend of mine thought Godzilla was a cartoon. Like, how...?
Probably grew up only exposed to either the Hannah Barbara Godzilla or the Godzilla Animated Series. Or, all the pop culture references in things like the Simpsons.

Maybe something like that. In the moment though it was just utterly baffling. She also thought the same thing about Gremlins, which I can explain even less.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Maybe something like that. In the moment though it was just utterly baffling. She also thought the same thing about Gremlins, which I can explain even less.
I mean, again, everything is about exposure. If you've never been exposed to Friday the 13th, I can't really be appalled or guilt you for not knowing that Jason isn't the killer in the original film. Whereas it's common knowledge in the horror field.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Oh, I've got a REAL good one. Not completely Godzilla related but pretty damn close.

So, I'm a casual follower of some kaiju blogs on tumblr. A couple of months back, nearly everyone was reacting to the same post, which makes sense because I am not exaggerating when I say this post was the absolute worst assumption about kaiju I have ever heard.

The post was someone asking a tumblr user who is a general monster fan to provide a hot take (opinion on something which usually goes against fandom norm) on kaiju. Their response was they thought that kaiju should not be treated sympathetically because they are too big to interact personally with human characters and that the fact they are invulnerable means they don't get any tragic 'beauty killed beast' moment to add sympathy. They then went on to clarify that anyone that thought kaiju should be treated sympathetically were weirdos.

YUP.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Oh, I've got a REAL good one. Not completely Godzilla related but pretty damn close.

So, I'm a casual follower of some kaiju blogs on tumblr. A couple of months back, nearly everyone was reacting to the same post, which makes sense because I am not exaggerating when I say this post was the absolute worst assumption about kaiju I have ever heard.

The post was someone asking a tumblr user who is a general monster fan to provide a hot take (opinion on something which usually goes against fandom norm) on kaiju. Their response was they thought that kaiju should not be treated sympathetically because they are too big to interact personally with human characters and that the fact they are invulnerable means they don't get any tragic 'beauty killed beast' moment to add sympathy. They then went on to clarify that anyone that thought kaiju should be treated sympathetically were weirdos.

YUP.
I... uh... I think that person may be a psychopath.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Update: found the orginal post.
People who like to paint Kaiju as sympathetic tragic relatable monsters are weird. They arnt like Gilman or Frankenstein’s monster that are on the same level as humans and can be taken down by them, Kaiju are basically like deities and realistically kill a shitton more people. King Kong is usually kinda an exception and is vulnerable to humans and has a /personal/ connection to a human, but most of them are max OP and humans are distinctly ineffective at battling them and they can usually only be stopped by other monsters or giant robots or something
They are the Chads of monsters is what I’m trying to say here

RIP Evan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Obviously this person has never seen Mothra, or the scene in G vs KG.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

TLDR: Man who saw Godzilla 2014 didn't know it was an American film therefore didn't know we are on our second iteration of an American Godzilla, still thought Godzilla 1998 was the only American Godzilla still.

Story: So met the brother of one of my acquaintances, dude saw Kong: Skull Island with his brother, they ended up liking it. I tell them about the Monsterverse, how it's a shared cinematic universe with that version of Kong and the American Godzilla. He screams no, and didn't calm down till his brother said "the OTHER American Godzilla, the one from the 2014 film, that we movie we saw a few years back." Dude was not a Godzilla fan but he really, Really did not like G'98 but did enjoy G2014.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

There's still people who thinks the kaiju are the focus of every japanese kaiju film and humans have minor to no relevance to the whole movies.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/