Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I don't much care for the high pitched showa/late heisei roars, and I don't like the reuse of them in new media (Shin, Singular Point). if they're going to recycle roars, I would much rather them reuse the 1954 roars, the millennium roars, and the low, growl-y early heisei roars.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel Shin really needed its own roar. I am fine with recycled roars for the early stages but I feel this Godzilla especially being so distinct of other incarnations really deserved its own unique roar.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 am I feel Shin really needed its own roar. I am fine with recycled roars for the early stages but I feel this Godzilla especially being so distinct of other incarnations really deserved its own unique roar.

I semi agree? For the character, it really needs it but I also think it kind of works in film? SP does something similar with Rodan's cry, there's something about hearing that classic 60s sound effect in a realistic modern context that makes it extra uncanny.

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 pm Now for an ACTUAL fan confession, I’m not big on ShodaiGoji.
Agreed. Those googly eyes throw me off.

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 am I honestly don’t see the appeal of 89Goji. The design is pretty cool, but it’s not as good as others in the Heisei series.
Agreed. I've said this already but I just find him too plump and too mammalian. And since the other suits are practically the same, that goes for them, too.

84's cool, though.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 am I feel Shin really needed its own roar. I am fine with recycled roars for the early stages but I feel this Godzilla especially being so distinct of other incarnations really deserved its own unique roar.
I 100% agree with this. I actually do quite like Shin's design, but hearing the old Godzilla roars coming out of it feels wrong. I will go farther and say that virtually all of the old-school sound effects used in Shin Godzilla felt inappropriate; the city destruction scenes especially suffered from the very distracting old sound effects.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 am I won't say that you are wrong, or that is the incorrect way to view the film, but I will say that this explanation as to what makes the movie enjoyable could be said by both an introspective, thoughtful movie watcher, and a man incredibly high on mushrooms.
I can assure you that I was not on mushrooms at the time that I first arrived at this perspective, nor at the time that I wrote this post. Once or twice in between those two events? Maybe...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 am I won't say that you are wrong, or that is the incorrect way to view the film, but I will say that this explanation as to what makes the movie enjoyable could be said by both an introspective, thoughtful movie watcher, and a man incredibly high on mushrooms.
Every time someone brings up drugs in relation to Hedorah, a puppy dies.

So, enjoy that on your conscience, Keizer.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 am

That's morbid thinking Soggy Yojimbo.

I'd like to think everytime someone brings up drugs in relation to Hedorah a puppy finds a new loving home. Because that's what this movie is, an hallucination filled ride.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The rest of the film is probably up to interpretation but come on, you can't deny the whole fish party sequence was meant to invoke an LSD trip. Banno was on some hard sh*t during that moment :lol:

Eh, with the subject of the comment it's kinda fitting my phone tried to autocorrect "Banno" to "Banjo".
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 am The rest of the film is probably up to interpretation but come on, you can't deny the whole fish party sequence was meant to invoke an LSD trip.
It's a hippie psychedelic film.

Of course it was.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yes, Hedorah absolutely engages with the psychedelic imagery that was prevalent at the time. Nobody's denying that.

But it's not the driving force of the movie, and those elements are handled in a pretty straight-forward, easily accessible way.

The way some people talk about the movie, you'd think it had come out of Andy Warhol's Factory...
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It came out of Andy Warhol's ass is where it came out of because that movie is shiiit.
JK
JK
Lol, I just had to make that stupid comment.

But seriously that movie sucks and is at the bottom of my list.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 amEvery time someone brings up drugs in relation to Hedorah, a puppy dies.
But not a kitten...
Last edited by tbeasley on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That cat is indestructible, but it does need a bath.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 am

Now that you mention it, I do recall my Chinese cuisine tasting odd last night...

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Breaks out the Dawn soap.

Here kitty kitty.

Oh, poor kitty is probably dead.....damn.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I enjoy the psychedelic aspects of Godzilla vs Hedorah, as well as the wackier moments such as Godzilla's infamous flying moment.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It does reflect what was going on with music and drugs at that time.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I think Singular Point's characters just might become some of my all time favorites. There's just something about them that I like.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

WHEN WILL IT COME TO THE US NETFLIX >-<