Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Maritonic »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Just realizing how right wing the films are makes me like them a lot less nowadays :(
Sometimes movies are just movies. Enjoy them at face value. :ninja:
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I got it on 4K. Was just gonna get the regular bluray but the 4K was cheaper than many standard Blurays I've seen so I figured why not.

The only Godzilla film I do not own is G14 and unless we get some sort of extended or director's cut somewhere down the line I never will own it. Though the extended film would have to be a significant improvement (or have enough added footage) to make it even worth the purchase.
If I remember correctly, haven't you only watched it once 4 years ago? Give it another shot. Your lowered expectations might make you enjoy it more

After seeing it a second time, I liked it sooooo much better. The same goes for the first Guardians of the Galaxy, which I didn't care for until I watched it again

Also, I still can't fathom how many people hate Uprising. Am I the only one who actually really likes it? I really don't know what you guys were expecting from it
Last edited by Ryguy on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Ryguy wrote:Also, I still can't fathom how many people hate Uprising. Am I the only one who actually really likes it? I really don't know what you guys were expecting from it
Well since you wanna know. They killed off the best character from the original very early on, dwelled on it for like a full minute, only for the very next scene to be a rehash of her flashback sequence (and this isn't the only thing that's rehashed), and then she's basically forgotten for the rest of the film. They set up a great villain, only to throw that out of the window for, in my opinion, a lame plot twist that assassinates Newt's character. He's not even given a second chance. It just becomes "WELL HE'S FULLY EVIL AND HE AIN'T COMIN BACK SO LET'S PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE." I mean, Newt still has to be in his own brain somewhere, right?

They completely wasted some really cool ideas, that could've taken the film to new places, such as evil drone Jaegers (which could've been built by that potentially great villain they seemed like they were setting up) and Kaiju-Jaeger hybrids. Drift compatibility kind of stops being a thing by the climax. The whole "child soldiers" thing really doesn't sit right with me as well. And of course, at the end, Jake tells Newt, who is now fucking tied up in a chair or something, that the PPDC is going to invade the Precursors' home world, which completely goes against the usual message of kaiju films (war is bad). Not to mention Guillermo del Toro has stated that he specifically avoided giving PR the aesthetics of car commercials and army recruitment ads, which is exactly how PRU looks.

That's why I don't like Pacific Rim: Uprising.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Never cared much for Mako to begin with so her death didn't bother me that much. It still could have been handled better though. Hey I still liked it better than Black Panther.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Movie with 8 writers doesn't refuse any ideas, and thus sets up potential "big bads" like 5 times through the movie, which just neuters all of them in the course of a single movie.

The PPDC could've filled the role in a story of "official Jaegar forces vs. illegal built from scratch Jaegars" story.
Shao was first presented as a potential villain, but her character is virtually non-existent.
Rogue Jaegars could've filled the role, and were put over strong by killing Mako. This ends up being wasted, as the world moves past Mako's death quickly, and the entire problem is dealt with in the first half of the movie and never matters again.
Newt was the main villain, which takes a wacky route to go that direction and still makes little sense because The Precursors were wiped out at the end of the first, weren't they?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ All that was wiped out was a kaiju factory. Presumably there's still an entire Precursor civilization out there somewhere.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Wow. Everything I've read on here about 'PR: U' makes me glad I didn't see it, and suffice it to say I won't bother watching it any time soon.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
That's why I don't like Pacific Rim: Uprising.
Pretty much my opinion as well; I would like to add that the editing was terrible in some scenes, and the dialogue was really off putting in the beginning. For me atleast.

It should've been called Pacific Rim: Downfall. OHHHHH no he didn't.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

All this talk of the negatives of PR:U and not a single mention of the world's most insulting retcon in that the Kaiju were always going for Mt. Fuji?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

I hate PR:U. It's very, VERY hard for me to straight out hate a movie, but when it goes so far out of its way to insult and shit on everything the original movie set up and built... AND you treat almost all the returning characters in disrespectful, crappy ways... that just infuriates me to no end. The kaiju feel tacked on, Mako's death is basically forgotten about in a minute and her murderer dealt with two scenes later without so much as a "This is for Mako!" or ANYTHING, story narrative and flow which feels like seven different drafts all Frankenstein'd together with the grace and finess of a nuke propelled sledgehammer, retcons which make ZERO sense and only further insult and sour the original movie in hindsight, the complete lack of a memorable soundtrack (Seriously, can anyone remember a damn piece of music from the movie that isn't the remix of the original's theme?)...

The ONE redeeming feature I can think of is that the final battle against Mega Kaiju feels more like a climax than the fight against Slattern... which is undermined by Mega Kaiju basically being Slattern 2.0.

As for other kaiju confessions... For the longest time, GvKG was my favorite heisei Godzilla movie, I actually do like Keizer Ghidorah's design, and I feel Skull Island is a step back or two from G14.
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

NSZ wrote:All this talk of the negatives of PR:U and not a single mention of the world's most insulting retcon in that the Kaiju were always going for Mt. Fuji?
Oh my god I completely forgot about that. That was fuckin dumb too. Also Lambert's girlfriend was completely pointless. She could've been removed from the film entirely and it would've made no difference
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

All this talk of how bad PR:U is makes me very glad I didn't go see it.
Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Everyone's already made excellent points, but I'd also like to add the absurdity of child pilots struggling with Category 2 Onibaba in the simulators and then miraculously being able to hold their own against three Category 5 kaiju in the finale with only one casualty.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Someone let me know when this stops being the Pacific Rim Uprising spoilers thread?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Someone let me know when this stops being the Pacific Rim Uprising spoilers thread?
I'll keep an eye on it and shoot you an all-clear.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Someone let me know when this stops being the Pacific Rim Uprising spoilers thread?
I'll keep an eye on it and shoot you an all-clear.
Thanks! Despite the bad press, I do want to check it out... eventually! :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

UltramanGoji wrote:Everyone's already made excellent points, but I'd also like to add the absurdity of child pilots struggling with Category 2 Onibaba in the simulators and then miraculously being able to hold their own against three Category 5 kaiju in the finale with only one casualty.
Wait there was a casualty? Don't remember that.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Dr. Professor wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Everyone's already made excellent points, but I'd also like to add the absurdity of child pilots struggling with Category 2 Onibaba in the simulators and then miraculously being able to hold their own against three Category 5 kaiju in the finale with only one casualty.
Spoiler:
Yeah one of the kids dies, I guess. It's not really expanded on other than a short thirty-second pause or something.
Terrible film, really. No wonder GDT has been basically silent on it.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah one of the kids dies, I guess. It's not really expanded on other than a short thirty-second pause or something.
Terrible film, really. No wonder GDT has been basically silent on it.
Damn I don't remember that at all. I guess that's a testament to how bad it is.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don’t think Matt Frank draws a good Godzilla. At least, his one in Rulers of Earth sucked.